Guest made mistake & I got 2 stars for accuracy-ouch!

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Guest made mistake & I got 2 stars for accuracy-ouch!

Sob! I'm so sad & shook!

If we hadn't had a solid year of 5 star reviews I'd be done & dusted here- the guest said in her review that she might have made a mistake in thinking she was renting a separate place but that didn't stop her from giving my serene suite a 2 for accuracy (and a 3 for location as it was farther than she thought and a 4 for communication as I guess I didn't read her mind?)

I changed out the down comforter for her allegic friend, gave them dining/ drinking options that they raved about, supplied them with a bottle opener & stemware and in thanks, or perhaps out of further confusion, they put me in the 4.9 danger zone.

I did write an email to "help" just to see if I get lucky; her actual review says that she might have been confused & I am, after all, listed in the private rooms category,  it's hard to see how I could be in a grey area for accuracy. We did have an earlier guest who was dismayed to find us hosts on site so there's some disattention going on when folks are booking, what filters are applied?. I'm going to start adding a "you do realize" disclaimer with my greeting message but who knows if that will help as I already restate the fact of our stairs & steep driveway with every greeting & that was also an issue for her.

I have positively Loved hosting & liked not being the one collecting money from guests but the handwriting has appeared on the wall, quel bummer, Sally

6 Replies 6
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

It happens... don't take it personally. I took a look at your listing and if there is not a private entrance and/or closed door between your living area and the suite do I think you could make that slightly clearer in the photos and/or description. It's certainly true that people don't read. The very first sentence of my space description says it's the daylight basement of our home, and I once got a negative accuracy mark from someone who didn't understand that until he arrived.

I'll take some pictures between guests- we are booked up until the 25th

The suite is downstairs & very quiet indeed & I hung a curtain up when we started so concert going young ladies (& any gentlemen so inclined) could flit between the rooms & bathroom whilst getting dressed and feel completely at ease. You can't see down there anyway but I wanted it to feel absolutely private. The stairs to the suite are in our entryway hall and you aren't visible to the rest of the house if you come in & go straight downstairs. We don't use the front door when guests are around unless we have already gotten so friendly that the guests are actually hanging out in our living room. This particular woman was brand new to airbnb & somehow thought she was getting a stand alone unit or the whole house. We have been very very lucky with our guests so far(save stanky guys & crazy grandma) so maybe I'm over reacting but a 2 for accuracy indicates that we have seriously misrepresented our listing and that is not so. I'm rethinking  my willingness to instant book those new to airbnb if her review stays up. I really appreciate not being the one asking for payment, it's the best part of airbnb from my standpoint, but I'm going to have to list on other platforms before my rating get savaged, rats! Sally

Definitely don't put all your eggs in one basket, and try not to take it personally. Yes, the accuracy review is totally unfair but this is going to happen sometimes. (I recently had a "location" mark-down on our completely rural dead-end listing because the guest was frustrated by the Portland metro area traffic situation.)

When we started we had a similar setup to yours, except with a true separate entrance downstairs. Eventually we put in a real door at the bottom of the stairs so it's really a completely separate space-- this allowed us to raise the price and also gives us peace of mind re. our own home, as we can lock it from our side.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The review was very positive and the guest took responsibility for not understanding that it was a private room space.  @Sally221  she also stated that overall it was the best value.  What was her overall score?   Also, I would caution that your response to her review is on the edge of defensive, which doesn't play as caring and professional as you really are as a host, given all the other glowing reviews.

An alternative response might read:  "I am pleased to be your first host on Air BNB and that in spite of your confusion about how the space was listed  you enjoyed your stay!  And, you liked the scones!" Just a thought.

Since this is your first somewhat negative review, it is always good to step away for a day or two before responding.  Helps put it in perspective.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guests focus on one thing - price. And maybe location. They then completely ignore all other details until they arrive and start complaining. You live upstairs ! It's down a staircase ! 

Yeah, I was feeling defensive- you ought've heard what Tom was ready to put down, total flamethrowing, it's just a 2 for accuracy really stung!   Accuracy is the most important criteria ; nothing else matters if the listing ain't true to it's billing. The airbnb support was ludicrous: The system is automated and we have no ability to change anything. But we want you to move forward as a valued host.  I've started to do Homestay a few times but not gone live, time to bite the bullet or do something else- rents are currently so ridiculous in Berkeley that we would make more just renting each room to a grad student but I do love welcoming people from everywhere in the world into our space. I am no longer doing instant book for unreviewed people, though, between this lady & the axe drenched duo that stank up the whole house & garden I'm now too leery. We have had an amazing run tho' Sally