Guest booked a room, but takes over the whole house for a party

Guest booked a room, but takes over the whole house for a party

I just had a guest book 1 of the rooms in my 4 bedroom house and took over the whole house for a party. One of my other guests arrived to find that there was a party and their room was already occupied by a group of teens hanging out. Due to the party along with the smell of weed, they decided to leave. After I drove over to kick everyone out, I cleaned everything up and also noticed that I've lost some red envelopes with money (although only $2, phew) that I had placed in the home for good luck. 

What can I do now? I have 3 things I want to report:

1. They caused another guest to leave who will be receiving a full refund from me.

2. Significant amounts of clean up

3. Theft

Can I request for additional payment for any of these reasons?

18 Replies 18

I can monitor the security cameras anywhere as long as I have internet. They're only on the outside of the house though and it's too time consuming to monitor it all the time. My housekeepers only clean in the mornings - afternoon and do not have the capacity to co-host for me. I would have to spend a lot to hire one.

I've been in airbnbs with cameras inside the house. Does anyone know if that's legal?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Henley0 .  Of course there is something you can do. It is awful that  a legitimate guest felt they couldn't stay because of another guests behaviour.

As hosts we have a responsilbility to manage our listings so that they don't impact on other guests and the neighbourhoods they are located in.

1. vet your guests more carefully- what checks do you currently make before accepting a booking?

2, install CCTV at the property entrances so that if a party starts up, you will see it happening and put a stop to it straight away.

3. tighten up your house rules

@Helen3

@Helen3

I'm asking for what I can do to received compensation due to my guest's behaviors, not what I can do to prevent it. I'm fully aware of what I need to change.

I'll respond to your points anyways.

1. This is exactly where I made a mistake. I'm already aware of this which is why I didn't make a thread asking for advice on how to vet out guests more carefully.

2. Already have them installed, but who can monitor 24/7?

3. Since I do not live on the premise, it's not a matter of what house rules are implemented, but rather whether my guests follow them. Unfortunately, it's impossible to enforce it without physically being there.

Caroline1575
Level 2
Forest Park, IL

You can have keyless entry for each guest room and install NoiseAware