Guest Overstay Extending Rental

Nicole1062
Level 2
Fairfield, PA

Guest Overstay Extending Rental

I have a rental that was for 1 week and ended yesterday. When I went there to clean today they were still there. Apparently its a communication company that has travelling employees that they do rentals for. It's a group of three individuals and the "renter" is not one of the occupants. The renter wants to extend the stay, which is fine because I don't have another booling until next weekend. My concern is that instead of making a new reservation, they have sent a "resolution payment" for a generic amount. The amount they sent is more than enough to cover the additional time they want to stay, but will I still be protected if they make a mess or damage things during these additional days? I'm at a loss, I've never had anything like this happen before.

Additionally, my home reaked of cigarette smoke and I have a No Smoking policy clearly stated in my house rules. I have asked them not to smoke in the home moving forward, but should I be doing anything else?

Thanks for any advice you offer!

16 Replies 16
Nicole1062
Level 2
Fairfield, PA

UPDATE

I'm not happy with Airbnb. The guests checked out on January 25th, and as expected left my house a mess. I'm not really complaining about that, I earned a $50 cleaning fee each week they renewed, so I'm getting paid for the cleaning. This is the thing that gets me - I submitted for missing items and damages caused by the guests employees during their stay. The guest accepted the request and was sending me the money. Airbnb stepped in and said that per company policy damges can only be submitted 14 days after the checkout date (which in there eyes was January 4th). I stated in a reply email, that the guests extended their stay through the resolution center and I had verified with ABNB that this was accepatble and that I would still be covered for any damages. This is the email response I received from Airbnb:

Hi Nicole,

I understand this is not the outcome you were hoping for. I want to reiterate that this decision was made after careful review of all documentation and communication, and is in alignment with our policies and procedures.

Please be advised that, per our Terms of Service, Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with regard to these disputes. We are unable to reconsider the decision made in this case — we've issued our final decision and will uphold it accordingly.

As further communication will not change the outcome of this case, we must respectfully disengage from further discussion.

It doesn't seem to me that

1)the representatives of Airbnb do not give you proper guidance when you call asking about how to handle situations

2)Airbnb does not stand behind what their own reps tell you is acceptable methods of handling situations

3)Airbnb does not support their hosts, given that the guest was accepting the claim and was trying to send the payment to me

4)Airbnb does not properly communicate with their hosts - I asked for a phone number and extension to speak with the rep that sent me the original email and was denied even this courtesy. I have been very polite in my conversations with Airbnb and don't see what I did wrong in this case. 

I have replied to this rude email response asking for clarification, considering the checkout date was January 25th, and have not received any repsonse. This is so dissappointing to me. I have up to now enjoyed the Airbnb platform, but this is $400 of missing items and damages to my home (all with photo verification). I do not believe that Airbnb has handled this situation professionally or courteously.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicole1062  I fully agree with you about Airbnb's bad policies and lack of customer service., and am sorry you are having to go through this.But you wrote in about these guys a long time ago, you said they were smoking in your non-smoking unit and hadn't even read your house rules, as it was a third party booking by their boss. As I recall, most of the other hosts who responded advised you to cancel the rest of their reservation and get them out, that it wouldn't get any better. It seems you ignored the advice, choosing to believe the line of BS Airbnb was feeding you, rather than listening to the hosts who had been through this with Airbnb and felt Airbnb would not have your back.