Guest Cancellation last minute

Alicia167
Level 2
Kamloops, Canada

Guest Cancellation last minute

We had a guest notify us at approximately 6pm on day of check-in that "their vehicle broke down and they may or may not make it to our place" How do I proceed with this now that the guest was a no show and is requesting a last minute cancellation. We planned our day out so we could be home to clean, etc for our guests. I see it is not part of the extentuating circumstances so do I tell them to take it up with Airbnb or should I request some documentation to prove their vehicle was indeed towed and send them a partial refund? 

-New to hosting!

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hi @Alicia167 Kindly ask your guest to cancel it themselves. Do NOT do it yourself - it's the most important for you. And whichever way they choose, it's up to them. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Much easier! Thank you 🙂

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Tell the guest that they need to contact AirBnB, and that any refund due will be issued according to the AirBnB cancellation policy in effect at the time they made their reservation.  Don't offer or promise a refund.  Just tell them to contact AirBnB.

Yes... I know... It's brutal of me... but what about all the other potential guests who looked at your listing, and wanted to book but couldn't because there was an existing reservation in place.  You have no way of knowing how many people passed you by. That is called Lost Opportunity.  I've got my cancellation policy set to Strict.  I chose that setting because I'd been taken advantage of by too many guests in the past who thought nothing about reserving an apartment months in advance (thus taking my rental off the market) and then cancelling at the last minute for life shattering events like "We changed our mind" or "We heard it might be raining tomorrow" or "We got our hands on some last minute tickets to a Wayne Newton Concert".     For me, the final straw was when lovely guests who would stay with us multiple times throughout the year to visit family in the area called to say they wouldn't be coming tomorrow because "My mother died last night".   Ordinairly that would be a terrible thing but this wasn't the first time this woman called to say "My mother died last night".  I think her only honest reason for cancelling was when she called to say "The Space Shuttle Launch has been postponed for two weeks... we need to cancel"

I can't guarantee the weather. I can't make NASA Launch Rockets on time, nor can I bring back the Space Shuttle. If you've made a reservation with me and need to cancel I understand.  I'll open up my calendar, and do my best to fill the dates you have reserved.  If I find another guest to fill those dates I'll send you a refund for the dates I was able to resell.  Sorry to hear about your mom...  I hope she enjoys the Wayne Newton Concert.

Agreed. Do not cancel. Make them do it.

Also, refunds are based on cancellation policy in place. You lost revenue by their not coming. Sometimes things happen and you can try to be fair. Sometimes people make up problems to get out of a reservation.

Either way - if there is a weather problem, that's different (i.e. you can't get out of Houston due to flooding). Otherwise, the cancellation policy is the policy to follow.

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

I have a guest on her way who just informed me at 3 PM that she's sorry but she may not need the second night.  I don't plan to address it with her unless she asks but I don't have to refund the money do I?   This is the same guest who tried unsuccessfully to get a discount.  Do I say anything?  I have to leave here before my normal check out tomorrow so I won't know what time she leaves if she decides not to stay.  Any advice?

These types of guests are tricky. Is she entitled (or deserving) to a refund? No. After all, her only excuse for cancelling was, she wouldn't 'need' it. It is all about her. To her a booking appears to be no more than a 'placeholder'; to you, of course, it is income.

She is a discounter, always looking for a bargain, so it may be plausible that she found a cheaper place, after all,  your welfare is low on her list of considerations. Also there is the dimension of a bad review, so count on a less-than-stellar review if she doesn't get her way; however those types of 'revenge' reviews are easy to cut down to size and make you look good in the process, or even removed if handled well.

May I suggest (in essence) this: 'A pity you are unable to stay the second night you booked. ~IF~ I end up re-booking the day you wouldn't be able to stay, I will be glad to refund you for that night. Given it's such a short notice the chances are slim, but you never know".

Let the whining on her part begin. 🙂

Turns out she decided late last night she would stay tonight as well and even inquired if Sat and Sunday were available.  When she mentioned canceling again yesterday after her arrival I simply said she would have to do it through AirBnB and it was probably too late.  She seemed to understand that.  I've found with people looking for a discount or deciding not to stay after I refuse, they change their mind.  My room rate is low but once you add in taxes and fees it can seem high.  The problem is, it's a nicer,  more convenient place and the price is about the same as a reasonably priced intermediate hotel room.  

Timi-and-Istvan0
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

I had similar problem. My cacellation policy is moderate full refund 5 days prior to arrival.  The guest cancelled one day before arrival, he say " flights are cancelled". I say plase  contact AirBnB. Airbnb  paid EUR 180 for 3 nights.

For this 3 nights i not received bookings.

Twenty days passed...

I received Airbnb email:

"Guest was able to provide sufficient documentation of an extenuating circumstance, and we have canceled reservation and refunded your guest in full.

This amount will be deducted from your next payout until it has been reconciled"

The Airbnb many times refund guest in full !