Free parking - how many guests search using this filter?

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

Free parking - how many guests search using this filter?

Our place doesn't have parking and I'm thinking of renting a space nearby. But, I'm trying to find data on how many guests use this filter when searching in our area (Crewkerne, South Somerset, UK).

I've been told by another hosting site that it's the second most popular search term for their guests.

Does anybody know if this data is available about ABB guests? How many look for free parking? And if hosts offering if get more bookings?

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Airbnb won't provide you with this information.

And what's important is whether it is the second most popular term for your town not in general.

In some areas such as Edinburgh, London or Brighton it will be of interest because of a shortage of city parking. 

Is that an issue in your area? I live in Somerset and it is isn't where I live as there is free on street parking.

Ben205
Level 10

@Helen3We're in Somerset, and down near the coast almost all our guests come by car. There are lots of stories of people not being able to find parking in Somerset/ Devon seaside towns and while it's not that bad here, we don't know if people are being put off or not.

Just trying to find out what data is out there at the local level.

For all the messages from ABB saying 'guests are booking shorter trips', they haven't sent me the one I want that '3 out of 4 guests in your area book homes with free parking on site'!

@Ben205

I would look at some of your competing lisitngs and see how many are currently offering free parking.

Get an idea of how many more bookings they have compared to you ....and see if in their reviews it mentions the "free parking" 

What % of your guests arrive with their own car? ... 

If you rent a space ..what will that actually cost you per guest booking ( even if you add a % increase for increased bookings) ? ..if you are already quite booked during the popular times then the "free" parking may not be enough to get those "out of season" bookings when bookings in general tail off 

You wont get any stats from Airbnb..you have to dig deeper into your own local listings and area 

Guests like free parking ...sure..but they are often also happy with the availability of a close-by parking space and many will actually pay for that...

Ben205
Level 10

@Mike340Thanks for the suggestions. I reckon 9 out of 10 of our guests come by car. Nobody has ever mentioned parking being a problem, but it's the ones that don't book because they are concerned that I'm tyring to reach.

A parking space here would be about £250 (or roughly 1 extra booking per year). However, it would be a 5 minute walk, which may be a problem for some.

I think all our direct competitors offer parking but I'm not sure they are any more busy - I'll need to look into that, though there may be too many factors in play.

This is the sort of data that ABB could use to actually help hosts, rather than constantly trying to push our prices down. One of their 'Tip' boxes by the calendar that says '90% of the guests that viewed your house booked where there is free parking' would be very useful!

@Ben205

We all know that guests dont like to read a lot of writing ..so I have tried to put all of my key information available with the photos that I show.... so ...everything can "more or less" be found through the listing photo slideshow  ..the text available to add to each photo is somewhat limited ...more so than with Trip Advisor , but anyway) 

"but it's the ones that don't book because they are concerned that I'm trying to reach"

maybe you could add some photo and some text that makes it clear that there is easy parking available ... (I havent looked as to whether you have already done that) 

Certainly one extra booking seems a reasonable cost to invest .....blimey a 5 minute walk a problem to some....wow..one hopes not..if so... they might as well stay at home  !!! 

The free parking as a "Home Highlight" would be useful..for sure 

Maybe you could suggest that to be a " key Home Highlight Point"  on the feedback link 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Ben205
Level 10

@Mike340Yes, I do mention plenty of free on-street parking right outside the door. The problem I'm trying to get round is the filter 'free parking on premises'.

If it's the case that most people looking for a holiday in Somerset travel by car and want an allocated parking space then they're not even going to see my listing!

The investment isn't great, so I think I'll give it a go. But it would be really helpful if this sort of data was available to hosts. Not everybody would be able to use it, but some might.

I was wondering if Airdna had stats at this level?

@Ben205

"plenty of free on-street parking right outside the door."

well I would tick the free parking (on property) facility then

Any potential guest will short list your property with others and look through your photos and details...just state there clearly, that the free parking is right outside the door in the street (just make sure it is actually available for them to use obviously). If the potential guest doesnt like that or wants their car in a garage then they will merely discard you from their short list...nothing lost 

..but at least it gets you in the running to be considered...and may guests would LIKE to consider a FREE parking..whether it is on the proprty or outside the front door  ..let THEM decide