Flood insurance - Loss Adjuster to pay for long term reservation

Colin60
Level 1
Pett Level, United Kingdom

Flood insurance - Loss Adjuster to pay for long term reservation

Hi folks, I have just started out on Airbnb and I've had a request from a couple whose house has been flooded (by cowboy roofers). Their insurance covers alternative accomodation whilst remedial work is done and they need to move out for a month or so. They want to use my lodge.  Its available but they are suggesting a convoluted arrangement where I invoice the loss adjuster and arrange for them to pay the cost of the reservation. Obviously its quite a financially attractive proposition . How could this work? They presumably need to pay Airbnb up front. Any help would be much appeciated.

3 Replies 3
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Colin60  Sounds like something you'd have to arrange outside the Airbnb system - which obviously isn't "condoned" by Airbnb and you wouldn't be "protected" by Airbnb if anything went arry with the reservation.  But the situation sounds reasonable, because I know insurance will pay for your alternative accommodations in the event your house is being fixed.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Colin60 I would steer clear.

What if their insurance doesn't pay out for whatever reason?

What if they turn out to be problem guests? (you wouldn't be able to do this through Airbnb)

Just explain to them that you would be happy to host them (subject to whatever checks you make), but Airbnb isn't set up for this arrangement. Say they can go ahead with the booking and get a booking confirmation so THEY can make the claim for the accommodation and liaise with the insurance company regarding reimbursement.

You shouldn't have to have the incovenience of dealing with a third party and any delays with the money coming through.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Hurricane Sandy Survivor here.

Bill the guest.

The guest presents the bill to their insurance company.

Do not get caught in the middle of this.

Bill the guest and do it through ABB.