First hosting experience - help managing a guest

Chrissie17
Level 1
South Perth, Australia

First hosting experience - help managing a guest

Hi everyone,

we have just listed our first airbnb hosting experience.  I set the minimum price on the space (bedroom + separte small lounge area) but with auto pricing and discounts it drastically reduced the cost of our first guest who has booked for a week.   Before making the booking the guest asked about extra sleeping space (extra mattress). However before I had a chance to answer (2hrs later) he confirmed the booking and Airbnb auto accepted!  I then felt obligated to accept the booking and supply the mattress. Had I have had a chance I would have advised that the space (and our comfort) would not be suitable.   Since then I have received about 2 messages a day asking extra questions and enquiring abour extra facilities, also wanting to view the space beforehand (listing description is realistic).  This is not turning out to be what I expected for my first experience.  Im suspecting that he realises that he has a 'good deal' on the place but it doesnt quite suite his needs but doesnt want to let it go.  What are my options as a host as I am already uncomfortable with the booking?

Chrissie 

6 Replies 6
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

With Instant Booking, you get 3 penalty free cancellations / year.

I would consider cancelling.  

You will get a public "Host cancelled this reservation" on your account, but future guests would hold it against you. 

Now that you have real experience, analyze your mistakes.

1. Price so that you WANT to host.

2. Do NOT accept week long reservations. You are still learning and a week long unpleasant               guest may ruin you forever. Try 4 day max, until you learn this business

3. Do NOT feel obligated to provide anything more than your listing

4. Do learn how to say NO and how to suggest that the guest cancels. "No I cannot provide an extra mattress. My listing may not be good for you.  You have 24 hours to cancel, penalty free."

5. Don't waste time on undesirable guests.

All hosts go through bad guests. We eventually learn tricks. Airbnb WILL be fun. Be patient

... but future guests would hold NOT it against you. 

Thanks Paul and Kath for your very sound advise.  To provide an update - i contacted the guest and politely suggested that on reflection the accomodation probably wouldnt best suit his expectation  given his particular requests and suggested that he should cancel the booking. As expected I got a disgruntled rambled response in which he stated that I should cancel the booking.  ts understandable due to the booking fee etc.

I decided to call Airbnb as i also didnt feel that it was fair that I should have a 'host cancelled booking' notice on my page, given the history and type of messages. 

I am pleased to advise that Airbnb was able to review the messages and agreed that his communication and requests werent  the norm.  Airbnb cancelled the booking for me without penalty to my listing, and the dates havent been blocked.  So a good outcome and certainly a learning experience!

Thanks for your support 🙂 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Chrissie17, as @Paul154 said, make a few adjustments until you get used to it. Turn off Instant Book and set your price as you want it.

You are NOT obligated to do anything - Inform the guest that you cannot supply an extra mattress (in your listing you have stated a maximum of 2 guests, so why are they trying to get 3 in?). The guest will then opportunity to proceed with the booking based on no extra mattress or cancel the booking themselves. DO NOT CANCEL the guest yourself as those dates will remain blocked and no one else can book. Also, you will have the notification on your listing that you canceled the guest.

Be firm with your boundaries and learn to say no - NO to extra guests, NO to extra facilities and definitely NO to viewing the property beforehand. In my experience, these kinds of requests are not typical - it might be that you are a new listing and people are just seeing what they can get away with. Sometimes you will get people trying to get more for less, but just say no. Best of luck with it!

Chrissie17
Level 1
South Perth, Australia

Thanks Kath - I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and provide some valuable insights for me.  I did act on yours and Pauls advise  and have written an update under Pauls info.  Was a good outcome supported by Airbnb who had access to the commuication exchanges.

Kind regards

Chrissie 

Gabi37
Level 10
Germany

@Chrissie17

In your profile you are stating " Please let us know if you have any special requests".

I would remove this sentence as it could be misleading and some people might think you are providing extras for free.