Early arrivals

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Early arrivals

I am growing increasingly weary of some guests' expectations. Lately (as in right now) it's about arrival. The lisiting details and confirmation are clear that check-in is at 3pm. In addition, I send my own 'Confirmation' message (highlighting the important details that I'm sure people didn't read) after the booking is confirmed, plus an 'Arrival' message regarding parking and check-in. My current guest did not respond to any of the messages. I was just getting ready to call her when I finally got a text...at 10:30am, saying they were "on their way"! I responded saying, "That's great. I will see you anytime after 3pm". She replied, "what is the earliest we can check in?" I replied, "anytime after 3pm is fine". Then I gave them some suggestions for things to do (I live on an island and it's a beautiful day). Cleaning and preparing, floors washed, soaps/shampoos, etc filled, hot tub vacuumed.. and I look outside at 2:30pm to see them in the driveway. I am writing this now, at 6 minutes to 3pm, at which time I will answer the door. This is SO annoying (mostly becuase it isn't the first time I've had people just expect to show up in the morning). 

56 Replies 56
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Cindi0 

I found this in Airbnb TOS:

8.2.1 You understand that a confirmed booking of an Accommodation (“Accommodation Booking”) is a limited license granted to you by the Host to enter, occupy and use the Accommodation for the duration of your stay.

Now, that might sound exciting on its own but I also found out that Airbnb Insurance/Liability/Responsibility does not start until the time stated on your check-in (duration of stay), so if you did allow early check-in it would be entirely your own insurance/liability/responsibility. If you want to abdicate responsibility for early check-in just say that you can't accept early check-ins because it is not allowed on Airbnb TOS.

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

We always try and offer a little, and I stress little, flexibility on check in but an hour or two each way (if feasible) is as far as we go.

Sara1585
Level 2
Doncaster, United Kingdom

I was wondering where to state the ‘important’ rules/points, I too send a polite post booking and then pre check message about check in details etc and still get messages asked that answers are in my messages or emails.

Reading back I can see that what we think is on show isn’t so what do people do to make sure people have read the important bits? 

People don't read. If the answer is in the message, or in the listing details, I will refer them to read that. I don't do it in a b*tchy way, but I invite them to review the details provided and let me know if they have any 'further' questions. If I see they have presumed something, I will correct them. For me, that's often around walking distance from the ferry, or cooking facilities.  

Sara1585
Level 2

@Cindi0 That is a good point very well made, I will save my typing finger on my iPad and will point them in the direction of the information they are requesting.

I think I’ve just presumed I've  not sent it in a format they can see or put it in the right place. Thank you again

@Sara1585  I don't use IB, so all guest have to send a booking request. When they do, I send a message, and after thanking them for their request and before clicking on Accept, I'll list the things I feel are important for guests to be aware of in case they haven't thoroughly read through the listing description.

So in my case, it's "Hi XX, thanks for choosing my listing and sending a request. I'll be pleased to host you, I just like to make sure guests are aware of the following, which is mentioned in my description:

20 minute walk from my home to town and the beach.

I have a large friendly dog who occasionally barks.

Guest space is for one guest only.

I've been lucky in that almost all my guests seem to be through readers and good communicators, so they usually reply quite quickly, saying yes, they are aware of all that, that they like to walk, are dog lovers, are travelling alone and looking forward to staying here and meeting me.

It's not yet happened that they haven't answered before I have to either Accept or Decline- if they didn't reply in time, as long as their reviews and profile looked good, I'd likely Accept, along with another message saying I was accepting the booking, on the assumption that they had read my previous message and had just been too busy to answer yet.

Sara1585
Level 2

I also tell them that I will let them know the keysafe number the day of arrival, I message them as soon as cleaner has been in, this is normally before checkin at 3pm. However I am strict about check out I always state the cleaner will be in anytime from 11am in my polite reminder message I send them the morning of check out

Sara1585
Level 2

@Sarah977 I never thought to message them before accepting or declining. Airbnb is very new to me, this will help me a lot thank you.

@Sara1585  If they've sent me a nice, informative booking message, and I can see that they aren't newbie guests, but have a history of good reviews, I might Accept right away, at the same time sending the message like I gave an example of above. If I saw they were newbies and just sent a request message like "Hi, probably arriving around noon", then I'd message before accepting. I just play it by ear. Hosts often second guess their own intuition, but usually that intuition is spot on, so never doubt an "iffy" feeling.

Gail-And-Doug0
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

I have learnt that the guests have checked themselves in to the condo one and a half hours earlier than the posted check in time. What is the best way to handle this with guests?

What kind of entry system do you have?  Traditional Key?  Lock Box?  Smart Lock?

You can either deny early access by not providing a key or code until check in time, or you can put it in your house rules that early arrivals will incur (for example) a $15.00/hr early check in fee with fractional hours rounded up to the next full hour. (so 1 hr 15 min = 2 hrs so $30 early check in fee).  Make sure this is in both your house rules and your check in messages with your guest, with language stating something to the effect of, "By checking in early, you are agreeing to pay the early check in fee to the host upon request." That way, there are no surprises when you send the request for payment.

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

I have had several people arrive early, some even after contacting me and being advised it was too short notice to do an early check-in (for which I also charge).  They would simply come to the house anyway and either continuously ring the doorbell or stand aside in front with their bags on the front lawn. 

My only recourse is to give a harsh review, especially if the person knowingly came early after being specifically told check-in time was after 3 (had one woman once arrive at 10AM).  Believe it or not, had another person today arrive two hours early after messaging their plane had landed early.  I replied check-in was after 3PM, it was too short notice to do an early check-in, and they were still in front of the house at 1:00.