Do you lose super host if you don't review every trip?

Laura-and-Val0
Level 2
County Wexford, Ireland

Do you lose super host if you don't review every trip?

I am nervous to review our last guests - I have all 5 star reviews so far and I'm afraid of what they will say.  My husband checked them in, it wasn't the person who booked and so we didn't see them until check out and so we had no opportunity to build a rapport with them.

They left my place very messy, I found about 30 half full beer cans & wine glasses upstairs in the bedroom & they even pulled a toilet roll holder out of the bathroom wall.  They just said it was 'an accident', when I mentioned it.  I won't and haven't charged them for this damage.  My fabric toilet roll holder was covered in make up.  No idea how they managed that - but it'll wash though...

Our home is self-catering and on booking & on check in I always ask guests they do the dishes and empty the bins.  

They we 1.5 hours late checking out - I started on upstairs and left them to check out when ready, which I thought was decent of me.  I went down to the kitchen & they had about 20 wine bottles on the counter & I asked if they could put them in the bin on the way out.  One of their party got kind of threatening & loomed over me (I'm 5ft) and said that he thought they had left it 'pretty good'!  I didn't say anything further and he went out to the hall wrote in the guest book - 'Lovely stay - pedantic on check out'.   I'm annoyed at myself for saying anything at all - our home is a heritage property and I was a bit upset to find it so messy.

I know the community is based on reviews but I don't want to review them, so they don't review me - I'd rather not get the review then get a bad one.  Will this affect my super host status?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Rose279
Level 1
Hendersonville, NC

They still have the opportunity to review you even if you don’t write a review. It’s just that Airbnb won’t post it until 14 days has passed.  After that time the reviews are posted if only one party writes one. I would write a review stating the facts, other hosts would want to know.  If they do write a negative review, you do have the option to publicly comment on it so other people can see that as well. And no, you don’t lose your super host status by not writing one review. I hope this helps . You can also search their help topics under “How do reviews work” and that explains the process. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Laura-and-Val0 No, you will not lose superhost, even if you never write a review in your life. But it is still so important to leave reviews. I have the same mindset as you: "I'd rather not get the review then get a bad one."  In these cases, I wait until the last hour on the 14th day  (which is at the initial time at which you received the email prompt to review) and then I submit my review. This is in hopes that my review will not trigger there review. But keep in mind that if the guest has already written you a review it will post after the 14 day period regardless. In most cases, I have given the guest a not so great review and still received a great one from them.

@Emilia42  I have doubts about how effective that 14th-day strategy really is...Guests get 3 separate email "reminders" from Airbnb nagging them to review, one way or other.

But I don't understand where so many people are getting the idea that the guest can't review you unless you review them. That's never been the policy with Airbnb, nor any other site I can think of!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Anonymous, it's really just for my own piece of mind. I agree that if a guest was planning to review they would respond to the nagging prompts. But there is just something about that blurred out email that gives the guest the impression that to see the hosts review you should write one of your own. Most people are curious and can't wait. Also, if I suspect a less than great review, I don't want it on my profile any sooner than it has to be.

And I totally agree with your second point. I've seen hosts here recently, with 90 or so reviews, give advice to not review the guest so the guest's review will not be shown. ?? Have they really not encountered a situation where only one party reviews before?

Willene1
Level 9
Kaleden, Canada

Still review them as honestly and politely as you can. Their review will post no matter if you have reviewed them or not. This way you have presented your opinion. If theirs is negative, others will see the view from your perspective so it’s easier to understand.  

Their review will post in 14 days whether or not you give them a review. You can wait til day 13 so in case they have not posted a review they won’t get too many prompts after that to post. 

I left one guest with no review as I was upset with all the small items they helped themselves to, and I wasn’t sure how to address that. (Hand Mirror, missing cutlery, sunscreen, bathroom amenities)   Their 5 star review still posted on day 14. 

Laura-and-Val0
Level 2
County Wexford, Ireland

Thanks everyone - I had forgotten that of course theirs will appear even if I don't review them.  It usually sends me a message if the guests reviews us and, as you say it works the other way around too.  I think I will wait until day 14 and they won't receive the reminder in time.

Reading my message back - I probably do sound pedantic!  Some days you can accept the state guests leave the house in and some days you can't, eh?!  It really does feel like the control is stacked in the guests favour, when we who offer our properties are expected to take the hit.

Thanks for all your messages - always learning!

Laura