Discrimination of hosts

Jacob231
Level 9
Copenhagen, Denmark

Discrimination of hosts

Dear Forum and Airbnb,

in the debate about lack of profile picture, I would also like to express as a host (and traveler) my strong unsatisfaction and disagreement with the socalled new policy of Airbnb, which in fact is a step back for the community. Unless of course, Airbnb, is now aiming to become a new Booking.com with anonymous strictly commercial transactions, which I hope and doubt is the case. A community without a face is not a community!

Is there any public statistical documentation and thorough analysis of discriminatory cases against guests, and, for that matter against hosts? That would be essential for the discussion, and would probably show that the issue in the debate is mostly going one way, in favor of those (few?) guests who have felt that a decline of a request was based on discrimination. How to prove that anyway?

However, hosts are being discriminated against by weighing concern for the guest higher. Taking away one of the main features of an user account - the profile picture - is giving the host fewer tools in managing her/his listing. This is not fair.

The profile picture is part of the user's general profile and way to communicate with the world. Just as the other features like Other Verifications, CV, Reviews, Etc. are part of the profile. It has nothing to do with criterias of  'judgement' per se, but are basic - and essential - features to make a complex system like Airbnb work smoothly. The idea of  introducing extra functionality buttons and request methods to ask for someone's profile picture, is making simple things complicated - and unnecessary.

It also creates a negative vibe in that, instead of welcoming a guest, hosts now need to ask for formalities that in fact should have been taken care of by the facilitator Airbnb, and should have been transparent from the beginning. The 'new' policy will also potentially create invalid and fake discrimination cases due to potential declining of a request after a booking has been confirmed. There can be X reasons of why a host needs to decline or cancel a request. We are not a hotel with staff, bodyguard, and a big insurance company at hand.

Airbnb enhances an open free world by connecting people from all continents, based on sharing economy, not on discrimination. So why discriminate hosts?

Best regards,

Jacob [Surname hidden] 

88 Replies 88
Janae6
Level 2
West Valley City, UT

I agree with most all of you about this topic.  I am a single woman who rents out my space when my 12 year old daughter is gone.  Some profile pictures are not even of the guest! Its a random picture of their business name or of something else.  This kind of scares me.  And its ridiculous you can't see their profile until after you have accepted their reservation!    Also, I've had people book with me, but friends or other people show up without them.  What do we do when this happens and how can i protect myself and my daughter if she happens to be with me when I have guests stay?

Shazza0
Level 2
Northland, New Zealand

This I find strange, no photos .. I've told Airbnb about thios before that the ones coming look nothing like their photo's on a few occassions, they said that it's probably and old photo .. but I said must be really old cos their whole body shape and length changed,bone structure never changes .. plus had one guy leave bloody bed lice and complained to airbnb about that and his photo was not his own ... there were a whole lot of eggs that he left on the plastic storage container I had there and he wanted to stay longer .. no way did he .. I took photos of the lice and the eggs and sent to airbnb .. I told them the guy in the photo was short, you could tell by the leg length and muscle and this guy was tall and skin tone was darker than the photo ... also what's with this 5 star place we have to have .. they don't want to pay the price of a 5 star airbnb but they expect it .. also guests should be made to leave a response on their stay, the host shouldn't have to leave one for them first .. location is another point that brasses me right off, if they want middle of city location pay the price, but if they want cheaper places to stay don't expect it to be the middle of the city ... most airbnb hosts work, so they don't have time all day to polish the silver, get on their hands and knees and scrub the floors until you can slip on them .. I get up early in the morning for my work days and it's annoying if you have one walking around the house late at night and in the early hours, you don't get the sleep becvause you are wondering why they are walking around for, ask them no real reply .. I've had some strange ones stay .. had one that opened up a new rice cooker that was hidden in the bottom of the panty .. I was angry and I told him that he had to buy me a new one because that part of the pantry wasn't for him to go through I showed him where all the plates, cutlery, cups, pots and pans etc all were .. so why are airbnb people going through every other cupboard, drawer etc that has nothing to do with them .. hell I don't go into someones place and rifle through their drawers or cupboards or pantries .. these people need to have respect and listen to what is being told 

Maite76
Level 2
Plantation, FL

Question for Airbnb we as host are required to post a picture of ourselves and our homes, why can we have equally rights, we are letting strangers come into the privacy of our homes. The same way they have a visual to choose what they like. We as host would like to see who’s coming into our home. What’s wrong with that. Whats wrong with this picture?? We can afford a concierge at the door. 

Judging people based on their look— is a natural reaction! Yes It is. You see a picture and your mind reacts to it. Automatically. You either like, disgusted, indifferent, or whatever....... Multiple Psychology studies confirm that. However, as grownups we stop and think it over before acting on our initial feeling. But If addition information is provided on the person, that verified who he claims to be

... this can help to reduce prejudice. Airbnb should provide more information on guests, and this information should be checked and vetted so hosts can make educated decisions, rather than less. After all, the goal here is to promote the platform for nice guests to stay at nice homes with nice hosts, and to keep the bad apples out

Eva44
Level 2
Sabadell, Spain

Totally agree, a few weeks ago contact them just to express the same, and I see that we are many more than we think the same, I hope that airbnb has it in mind quickly, on the contrary I will look for other options to rent. Thanks for your opinion. 

In today’s day and age with so much crime.

All hosts need to see photos of who they are renting.  If not it’s not worth risk.

These are rooms we are renting out in our homes, not Motel rooms.

Where is ou r safety?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here. 

I've been following all the conversations and collating all the feedback/ideas shared on this here in the Community Center, so I know that there are some many important topics that have been highlighted. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here. 

From reading some of the comments here and elsewhere in the CC, there are two points I want to clarify:

(1) Hosts can, in fact, request to see a photo of their guests before they arrive, as soon as the booking is confirmed. Here’s information on how to do that.

(2) And if the photo isn't real (e.g. if it’s a picture of a rose or a clown), you have the option to cancel without penalty by calling Airbnb’s Community Support. (We’d also recommend messaging the guest directly before cancelling.)

Also, for those of you with Instant Book switched on you can also require your guests to complete Airbnb’s verified ID process. (Many guests have completed verified ID already.)

There are several key areas that have been highlighted around this update and so I know this doesn't address all of the topics in this thread, but I thought clarifying these couple of options might be helpful to you and others.

The Airbnb team is continuing to look into this further and are taking your feedback really seriously.  We’ll be sure to keep you updated on this topic.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Dear Lizzy,

Where is the 'dislike' tab?

You all seem to have this same reply? WHY don't you all in "community " office of Airbnb 'get it' ? It seems that you all miss the point.

So here goes - WE the hosts do not want to see the guest profile photo only AFTER accepting a reservation . We want to see it BEFORE we the HOST (the reason you have a job and there is a place like Airbnb) accept ANY reservation.

WHY?

Because if we the SUPER HOSTS cancel a reservation/s, WE the SUPER HOSTS  LOOSE our status.

AND

If a non - super host cancel after accepting a reservation , they will NEVER make Super Host status because of all the cancelation on their record.

Now WHY do we need to SEE  a profile photo BEFORE accepting a reservation?

~ Because of a SAFETY AND SECURITY REASON.

~ and  because we are not the MARRIOTT!

~ and we have TOTAL STRANGERS coming into our HOMES where our FAMILIES are or we live by ourselves

~ and we would like to still tap into that annyoning little thing that few people knows anyting about these days , namely NATURAL SENSES , which one such a natural sense are your eyes connecting to your 'gut' feel.

I personally do not care abou race, religion or sexual orientation. I DO care if you are and have the 'decency factor' ,

and leaving us host with NOTHING to try and figure out who we are dealing with is UNFAIR and DANGEROUS . YOU are putting US HOSTS AT RISK ! Dangerous unnessasary risk!

AND then still 'punish US HOSTS if we dare and cancel by taking away our super host status?! Why is this so difficult to comprehend for all of you at Airbnb or are you trained to just regurgetate the same old answer not saying much!

Where is AIRBNB's LOYALTY to it's HOSTS??

What about the 'discimination factor' against US HOSTS???

So please just confirm this again for us -

1. What will happen to our Super Host status or will it be possible to get one with a bunch of cancelations against you?

2. Why are the guest able to see all the HOST photos and profile pics and can discriminate against US HOSTS or G-d forbird even plan a sick trip into our PRIVATE homes , yet THAT is not seen as a FAIR problem or discrimination??

Cindy249
Level 5
Los Angeles, CA

Jacob - HEAR! HEAR! I second every word and every sentiment! You have FULLY spoken for me too! Thank you!

A  photo of the individual booking is a means of verification . It is a form of security .Airbnb are the merchants  in  the guest / host transaction .The middle man .  They hold the credit card information and all other personal information on the guest .Host  do not  have access to any of that information which traditionally  is useful for security & verification . Hotels , BNB , Lodges and many other businesses even doctors , dentist , some restaurants , hairdressers ......So at the very least the profile picture is all we have in order to verify the person staying is the person who made the booking .

I owned and operated a lodge in New Zealand for 15 years . I was a credit card merchant with the BNZ and held the credit  cards for all my guest . It is a deposit of sorts, security and dare I say leverage  . I am happy to not have that responsibility anymore and find the community of trust that Airbnb relies on to be , for the most part , functional as long as guest , host and the middle guy Airbnb do their part to broker transparency . So I feel that although Airbnb has taken the position to prevent discrimination the least they could do for host is make it mandatory that all potential guest must set their default profile photo to be one that clearly shows their face so that host can match that photo with the person who is staying on their property . But Airbnb has dropped the ball there .

What I do is after the booking is made and the default picture is something other than a person , either a dog or flower or maybe there is no picture at all , I call Airbnb and have them contact the guest requesting they post a picture . I put it back onto Airbnb . I have found that on the mobile app you can still see the profile photo . So yesterday someone wanted to book and they had no reviews and the profile photo on the mobile site  was of 3 kids . This time I declined the booking and explained my position ( which is also a guest requirement I have outlined on my listing ) to the potential  guest and if she were to post a picture that I can use to verify her then we could go ahead and proceed with the booking .The guest complied and has updated the photo and made another booking request . 

If Airbnb cannot properly provide a service that protects the host from 3rd party bookings then as host we have to fill that gap and look after ourselves . In my experience it is worth the effort  . As an Airbnb host I did ignore my instincts once and took a booking from someone who had a poor profile photo and no reviews . That turned out to be a 3rd party booking and the people who showed up had no Airbnb account . In that case I contacted Airbnb and let them know what had happened and over the next couple of days we got the people staying to sign up and submit their credit card details to Airbnb . This was important to do because by law if something were to happen there would be no recourse because legally the person who booked is not the person who is staying and doing the damage . 

As host we do have a standard of  transparency to uphold and it is so that guest can determine a good match when they decide to invest their hard earned money in a vacation experience . As host we too have a financial investment to protect . The other thing I don't rely on Airbnb for is liability & damage insurance . We have commercial policies with umbrellas on our Airbnb rental . I have read that people have had little joy trying to make a claim with Airbnb insurance . It is mostly talk with no substance to back the assurances that in the event of something happening Airbnb will pay out . I don't rely on that because it sounds like based on actual host experiences that Airbnb are not inclined to compensate host for loss income or damages . So please host  I encourage you to have your own back . It is a business after all and enjoy your guest too but be smart about it . Airbnb favors the guest over the host . Guest make Airbnb a lot of money and that is their main concern . Fair enough . Airbnb does provide an amazing service and intelligent software that has revolutionized the whole vacation rental process . Everything Airbnb software provides I use to do myself . And I am happy to turn over the management of the-calendar , communications and credit card info to the software mangement . It is brillant  . However as far as security ,house rules  , insurance that is still my responsibility . In return I make a pledge to my potential guest that as a host I will hold up my end of the deal and provide a safe , clean hosted experience . That they will be looked after and will depart with good memories . I love that part of it . It is a balance .

I so agree!

In this day & age we need to see Photo ID.

It’s not discrimination AT ALL...what about our SAFETY???

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

It became abundantly clear to me a few years ago that Airbnb wishes hosts to behave like obedient hotel clerks who "indiscriminately" (pun intended) allow anyone who can afford to pay to book a reservation in their home. The fact that many of us are actual homeowners who  live on the property and are sharing one of our most important possessions / assets is something that Airbnb will mine for their oh-so-poignant commercials, but that's the end of it. Was hoping to return to hosting but seeing the latest posts here in the community reveals things are even worse than before. Sorry to see it. I'm not willing to have my beautiful beach home be treated by Airbnb as if it were a seedy flop-house that everyone has a right to access, nor am I willing to be deprived of my right to determine which potential (paying) guests can stay in my property.

Don't you all dare to stay on airbnb way of making money without having skin in the game!

I will Uber ban you!