Details, details, details

Details, details, details

Great Hosting (IMO) is all about the details, making sure your home is sparkling clean (also in the hard to reach), ensuring all amenities are there (adding more soap to that dispenser, putting extra garbage bags), checking all appliances work (light bulbs, oven range, coffee maker). Some guests change the TV settings (yes!) , or disconnect some appliances......

there was an earlier post by the Madonnas of Zagreb, suggesting that the “experience” matters rather than the “details”, giving Woodstock NY as an example, and a pesky guest (to the Madonnas opinion) that couldn’t use their toaster, and mentioned it to them. What a Je@&$

When in Zagreb - we plan to steer away from this home

1 Reply 1
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Oad0  while I agree with you that attention to detail and cleanliness are really important, I am not sure about your comments about the toaster post and imagine that's why you have had no responses to your post.

If the thread you are referring to is the one I think it is, it was posted in a light hearted manner by a very experienced and respected host and proved to be a very popular discussion. The point was not that the guests were unfamiliar with that type of toaster, but that they believed the host SHOULD have the same type of toaster they have at home, rather than the one that is typical in Zagreb. Things are different in different countries. Why travel at all if you expect everything to be just like it is at home?

Are you suggesting that a host should have a variety of different styles of toasters to satisfy the whims of every guest, even in a small and/or budget accommodation? Be realistic. 

I think the point RE Woodstock is that people have become more focussed on amenities than on experiences. The original concept of Airbnb was an airbed on Brian Chesky's floor, i.e. a cheap place to stay so that you could experience another city or country even if you were on a budget, with the added bonus of a local host's insight and the chance to 'live like a local'.

Airbnb was not supposed to be about booking a place, not because you wanted this experience, but because you want a 5 star hotel or luxury apartment but are too cheap to pay for it, yet still feel entitled to be judge and jury in someone else's home and scrutinise it to the minutest detail. If that sense of entitlement continues to increase, it will eventually mean the death of traditional hosting.