Concierge no longer do key transfers, what do i do?

Najib8
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Concierge no longer do key transfers, what do i do?

Hey Everyone,

Been an Airbnb host for quite a while now. I live in a multi-story apartment in Southbank, Melbourne Australia where you need a key with a tag to access the building and elevators. 

I typically welcome my guests in person and hand them the keys + tag that way, but there are times when my guest arrives and I'd be still at work. I used to  to rely on my building's concierge to do the key transfer at the reception. However, management recently decided that they'll no longer do that. Is there any way to do key transfers securly and affordably? 

Smart locks won't be possible because my guests need the tag to get to my apartement door. Lockboxes get cut and taken away regularly by the council...

I just need someone to meet my guest at the entrance, give them the keys, and thats it. 

Any advice?

8 Replies 8
Najib8
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

This post may have been more appropriate for the "Help" sub-forum. Woops! If an admin can move me there, that would be great!

@Najib8, I cant see any better way than asking a co-host to do that or changing the check-In-time to the time you are back from work, sorry not very helpful ha ?

Hello! I really appreciate your response!

I don't have much experience with co-hosting. Would I be able to offer them a one off payment for key transfer rather than a %? Is it reliable/ safe? Where do I look for one?

Hi @Najib8 ,

for co-host you usualy ask a friend but you can also ask in the comunity or host-circle that you are looking for a co-host which lifes near you or near the unit you are renting out.

If its just handing the key out I would just offer money, not persentual of income as its just a little job.

Of course you need someone you can trust, for example some other host.

You've been a great help, thank you!

@Najib8 you could get a co-host or change your check in times to suit you & be firm with guests that you can't check them in any earlier (unless you're do shift work which would make it difficult to always be there for guests)

Thank you! I'll look into the Melbourne Airbnb community and see if anyone's interested!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Najib8 

The easiest solution is just to employ a co-host to help welcome your guests for the times you are not available.

If you are just asking them to do check-in's you could ask a friend. Just make sure you brief them on their role?

There are students and others with flexible schedules who I am sure would be happy with some extra money or perhaps if you have a cleaner they might do it?