Community Spotlight: Jessica (& Henry)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: Jessica (& Henry)

Community Spotlights.png

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to say we have a new Community Spotlight (where we ask an active community member a few questions, to get to know them better). This month, we have a host I am sure many of your know well, here in the Community Center. Introducing...

Screenshot 2019-02-26 at 16.58.40.png

South Korea

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

We made the switch from guest users to hosts in Feb 2017 and we started hosting simply because..... we had a spare room. We enjoyed being guest users so we thought "why not?" - our logic at the time was that a guest room that is occupied at least a couple nights a month is better than a room that's always empty. Henry and I both have full time jobs and I happen to travel a lot, so we didn't want hosting responsibilities to take up too much of our personal time, which is one of the reasons why we decided to specifically target single/solo travelers - we assumed people who travel alone and chose a shared home private room listing would be independent people. We thought we could consider ourselves a great success if we manage to break even on the cost of furniture and extra bedding for the guest room in about 6 months! After a few really weird inquiries (which was making us think "OMG~ what were we thinking?!?!?!") our first guest contacted us just barely a week after our listing went live - an exchange student looking for a place to stay for 4 months. This was not what we had imagined at all...... but our first impression of the guest was good although 4 months seemed really long. Henry and I talked about it and decided to give it a try. Honestly, it was the BEST decision we made~! We've been hosting a lot of long term guests and many exchange students ever since and we love it!

Tell us a little about your listing

Our listing is a single occupancy private room in our home and our home is a typical modern, newly built apartment in Seoul. Our apartment complex is popular with young working couples (and is considered a "starter home" type apartment) because of location and apartment size. The neighborhood has gone through a lot of re-development over the past 10 years, so we have a unique mix of new high-rise apartment complexes and shopping centers right along side traditional homes, buildings and markets.

How long have your been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

I've been a member of the CC - as soon as I decided to become a host. I was certain we would miss something critical due to lack of experience and thought learning from other more experience hosts would be the best way to make sure we didn't make a mess of things. As a new host, I think the CC was especially helpful in allowing me to come up with my listing description and house rules - which were my responsibility (Henry was responsible for getting our guest room ready). Reading about the good and bad experiences helped us to really "prepare for the worst, but hope for the best".

What is your favourite thing about the CC and if you could make it better what one thing would you improve?

I really like how so many people are willing to spend time and contribute purely because they want to help others. I know that there are levels reflecting participation but sort of like super host maybe some sort of way to better recognize the fellow hosts who are top contributors? - something more than the "Top Contributors" list. Maybe a CC version of the super host badge? Making it easier to find old posts or comments written by myself and by others would also be great.

Are you more of a film or book person? What have you last read/watched?

It's really hard to say......Henry and I both read a lot and watch a lot. I think Henry is more of a "music" person. Although he's rusty and out of practice, he plays piano and always has some sort of music on at home, depending on his mood or the weather. We both really enjoyed watching Bohemian Rhapsody recently. In my case, I think I'm a book person even though I probably spend more time binge-watching TV series than reading. I recently borrowed a copy of Please Look After Mom from a co-worker and started reading it at the office during breaks. For fun, I usually stick to mystery/crime/detective novels. I've also started watching season 1 of The Crown and in the middle of watching season 2 of Anne with an E.

What is the one thing you cannot live without?

I really don't think I can name one thing - Henry and my parents and my sisters, a sense of humor, chocolate, sea salt & vinegar chips to name a few.

How do you like to relax at the end of a hard week?

Sleep and just be totally lazy. I can easily sleep for 12+ hrs straight and getting extra sleep on weekends has always been very important for me. Henry and I also enjoy good food and beer, so eating out is also an important part of our "weekend ritual" since neither of us likes to cook. I think I was born lazy, so I feel that one of the best ways for me to really relax is to be my naturally lazy self.

Where would your dream travel location be?

Henry's dream travel location is Fiji. Mine is to just roam the world for an entire year (or two) without any specific destinations or plans (which would drive Henry crazy because he always has to plan ahead and have back up plans).

As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? (...astronaut perhaps!)

As a kid, I always wanted to be a doctor - I have no idea why, but from an early age I've always liked the "hospital smell" and loved going to see the doctor. Plus, doctors always seemed to have cold hands and I always had cold hands, so when I was little I thought my cold hands were proof I would make a great doctor.

What's your fun fact?

I read way faster in English than Korean, but type in Korean much faster than English. While it's pretty obvious I'm bilingual, many don't know that English is my 1st language and Korean is my 2nd. Another little-known fact about me is, although I work as an interpreter and often have to speak in front of an audience due to my job, I also have terrible stage fright and absolutely hate public speaking.

Anything to add?

A special thanks to all my fellow hosts on the CC. I know we've never met, but I have come to think of everyone as good friends. And thank you Lizzie for thinking of me and Henry for the Community Spotlight.

A huge thank you to Jessica and Henry for taking the time to share a few fun insights into their lives. 

Please do ask any questions about the above or share any nice comments, I am sure Jessica would love to hear from you.

Thank you and enjoy!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

38 Replies 38

@Sarah977 My dad is a bit like you......doesn't care much for anything with vinegar in it whereas Henry loves vinegar to the point he sometimes drinks the pickling juice left over after we eat all the pickles!!! I thought I liked vinegar but I am nothing compared to Henry. 

And I don't think I've read any books by writer Jo Nesbo. I googled him and think I will like his books so definitely will get them for my Kindle~~~ thanks for the recommendation~!!! 

@Helen427 I am hoping Henry will get the hint and make me chips at home............. I showed him your post 🙂 

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. It's always so much fun to chat with you guys on the CC.

@Jessica-and-Henry0, any chance of some action shot photos when Henry does make them??
Thanks in advance.. 😉

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

There are some great comments here. Thanks everyone. 

I like that you are currently watching 'The Crown' @Jessica-and-Henry0 , I've watched both series and there are some good episodes coming up for you. I believe the next series is coming out soon, with new a new cast. How are you finding it? 

Aw @Sarah977, I'm a fan of the Jo Nesbo books too. I think I'm reading them out of order though, I've not long finished The Bat, which I think is the first one. Would you recommend any others?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie   I've probably read about 5 of his books and enjoyed all of them. I don't think it matters if you read them in order, they all seem to stand on their own.

His bio is impressive- novelist (also written a series of children's books), musician, songwriter, economist- some people get all the talent.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw great @Sarah977 , yes I thought that might be the case, as it hasn't stopped me so far! 🙂 

His bio is impressive...sob, sob! hehe

Have you ever thought of writing a novel? 

--------------------

@Lizzie 

I've only just  started watching the The Crown last weekend and have seen the first 2 episodes..... I'm usually not into historical or political dramas but the costumes and sets/scenes are beautiful. I'm not sure how much is real (historically accurate) and how much is just "drama" but the way characters are portrayed are interesting to watch 🙂  I'll also keep you and @Sarah977 updated on how I like the Jo Nesbo books once I start~~

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

I love your, take no nonsense attitude to hosting, and I wish you both well for the future. 

Thanks @Cormac0 

I've always enjoyed reading your comments..... and your sense of humor 🙂 

The food looks amazing! Yum.

My big kid and his lovely wife are going to be in Seoul at the end of the month -

smart kids- ran away to get married & spent their $ on travel. My daughter in law is a notable fermenter & she's excited about tasting her way thru Korean pickle culture. She gifted me some fermented tomatoes & I must confess to drinking up most of the brine, it's friendly bacteria & good for you, right? I wonder if an air crisper will be on the gadget wish list when they return, being confirmed foodies, probably!

I love the practical kindliness of your advice, no illusions & no snark either-your guests are lucky folk! Sally