Community, I need major help with this one ASAP!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Community, I need major help with this one ASAP!

Two guests checked in while I wasn't home. They weren't here when I came home but I came home to this:

-Two of my hall closet doors were wide open (coat closet and a closet in a hallway clearly marked "PRIVATE, No Guest Access."

-My camera caught them "looking" in a room clearly marked "PRIVATE, No Guest Access."

-They left a candle burning

-All lights and fans were on

-There are dog pee pads in my living room and by my door

-They placed food all over my kitchen counter

Do I kick them out and call ABB? Do I advise them on proper behavior? Communication with the young gentlemen has been very polite. I could chalk it up to ignorance/cluelessness, but the opening of the private doors really bothers me.

Help! Think I will get anywhere with ABB if I try to remove them??

42 Replies 42

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  All I know is that I'm so glad this learning experience is over! 

Kudos to you, @Suzanne302  for having a backbone along with professional hosting behavior.  I have seen way too many hosts roll over when confronted with unexpected behavior such as your guests displayed.  You were generous to attribute much of the problematic behavior based on their misunderstanding of your listing, however, if they had the entire house, their behavior would be equally undersireable.  I hope you give them a thumbs down review.  If they review you it will probably be negative and your fault.  Potential guests will see through and it will not affect future guests.

@Suzanne302 wrote:

Oh wait, they're still sitting in my driveway! And they just got out and are walking around my front yard...

And just let themselves back in (didn't even knock!) to ask if they could pay me extra to let the dogs sit in my backyard for a few hours while they go off and do whatever. I directed them to the nearest doggy daycare.

hahaahahahaha 😄 😄 OOOOMMMMGGGG !

@Suzanne302 

Wow!!!!!! Their level of cluelessness + sense of entitlement is unbelievable~~~

Plus...... SOOOOOOO~ RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!

Who raises these ogres?!?!?!?

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Suzanne302, great thing that this nightmare is over. And hope it will be the only one! Two times in had the same type of guests. With first group I managed to wait till the end of their stay and only after I found that they were using my wardrobe that was clearly not for guests. The other couple was even worse, so I have shorten their stay. With scandal and personal offenses towards me. And I have learned that I’ll not tolerate any type of rudeness. If they don’t want to be good guests they will leave my home quickly. 

Sharon723
Level 2
Mobile, AL

I need help. I ask that if someone wants to bring a pet it must be approved. This guest coming Friday booked then after booking told me he is bringing two dogs. I have asked what breed and have been clear that the dog or dogs are not allowed in the main house.  He is not responding to my requests, how do i move forward?

@Sharon723 

Contact Airbnb Customer Services via this guest booking on your App or via the web and inform them that you have had no reply from the guest and they are intending to bring dogs not approved by you contrary to your House Rules and they will not be allowed access if they persist in bringing their "unapproved "pets.

Leave it to them to contact the guest and sort things out. The guest might re-book somewhere else so you will be dependent on your cancellation policy regarding any refunds.

@Sharon723 Once a guest booking is confirmed, you can see their phone number and can call them. As suggested by and @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , please also call Airbnb support 1-855-424-7262 asking them to contact the guest. 

If the guest insists on the booking, no pets can be brought in the house. Otherwise, ask the guest or Airbnb support to cancel the reservaiton. If Airbnb cancels the booking, good luck on getting any portion of deposit even if you have strict cancellation policy.

@Sharon723   If dogs are not allowed then your rules need to reflect that.  I see that you do not have such a rule and you asked the breed type which can cause further confusion.  It seems as if you are willing to negotiate based on the breed.  Call the guest and discuss your concerns.  If you intend to charge a pet fee, that fee must be on the listing as well.  Calling Air BNB may not help because you do not have a clear policy regarding dogs/pets.

Sharon723
Level 2
Mobile, AL

Thank you this has cleared up alot for me. The guest did reply and was going to bring 4 dogs. once I told them where the dogs were allowed they took it down to two small dogs.  I will consider putting in a pet fee for sure. Many thanks!!!

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Linda108 

@Sharon723 wrote: I ask that if someone wants to bring a pet it must be approved. 

If that someone  - the guest - didn't ask. There's no approval.

If Sharon doesn't state that in her listing, things could be difficult.

Sharon723
Level 2
Mobile, AL

I just looked at my listing and was trying to apply a pet fee.  Can anyone guide me to correct location for this edit?

There is no place to add pet fee like there is a place for cleaning fee.  You just add it to your description and your rules.  Then when you have the guest reservation, you use the send/request money option to get the fee.  Message the guest about what you are doing and give a deadline for the guest to approve so you can be sure to collect the fee through the Air BNB system.  Tell the guest that if the fee is not paid, the reservation will be cancelled to add incentive for a response.  Good luck!!