Cancelling an instant booking

G-0
Level 1
Iceland

Cancelling an instant booking

Hi,

The 3 per year cancelation free pealty is unclerar to me as a host.

For example, If I receive and  "instant book" request now in April for, lets say, Septemeber and I can see that the reservation is for 4 teenage men or 4 teenage women (where I would be uncomfortable) can I cancel this "instant book" request without any reason and will my cancellation of that reservation be penalty free

thanks,

G. 

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That's the problem with instant booking  - you have to have valid reasons for your cancellation so check with them if this qualifies so you don't get penalised. 

Also - you say teenage, I thought you had to be 18 to book on AirBnB.

Hope they sort it out for you.

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

If you are uncomfortable with really young guests, state a lower age limit in your house rules. I've seen hosts say they don't want anyone under 25, for example. If they break your house rules by booking regardless, you can cancel without penalty.

I was able to cancel, without a penalty, a group of young people who were really tardy responding to my messages. I had to verify a first and then a second thing and the first time didn't get a reponse for days. When the second question went ignored for over 48 hours, and this was after I mentioned that I needed faster replies, I called Air and they agreed to cancel it for me. I said I was uncomfortable with their behaviour (an acceptable reason to cancel apparently).

But put a lower age limit in your house rules if you are afraid of getting a group of partiers. Also, you can limit the number of young people by charging for guest over 4, let's say, but agreeing to waive the fee if that extra person is a child. I did this to discourage partiers while making it clear to families that they would be welcome.