Can I edit a public response?

Aaron5
Level 1
Kansas City, MO

Can I edit a public response?

I just realized I posted a public response to a (very happy) guest's review that included information she had put in the PRIVATE response portion. Whoops!

Will Airbnb not let me get in and edit my public response? That seems only fair - it's not like a message thread.

20 Replies 20
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Here's some info regarding editing a review: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/13/how-do-reviews-work

If your guest already left you a review, you might need to contact Airbnb (on twitter is best @Airbnbhelp) to see if they are willing to remove/edit your review.

I have a similar problem.  A private message I sent to a guest showed up as public on my review page, and includes a negative comment about another guest I NEVER would have made publicly.  Does Airbnb have a phone contact for something like this?

Lynn6
Level 1
Davis, CA

Do you find anything out about editing your response? We made the same mistake.

Unless a review violates Airbnb's guidelines, they won't edit or change a review.  (Otherwise they would spend all their time editing reviews!)  

If you need Airbnb's help with changing a review, here's a helpful link: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-How-To-Guide/m-p/16165/highlight/false#...

It's just a crappy website to not allow editing of a public response, there is no reason to disallow it.

People can make spelling mistakes or want to fix their English, it is perfectly normal.

Like others, I didn't realise the response was public so I said things not meant for the public.

Airbnb need to improve their website and app especially, they are very low quality and not user friendly.

Clare13
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

I've just done exactly the same thing! I gave a guest a beer on arrival. He thanked me privately. I thanked him back, without realising it was a PUBLIC response, saying 'Thanks for not mentioning the beer in your review, otherwise everyone will expect one'. Doh! I've tried calling them & got a recored message saying 30 minute wait! I'm not on Twitter. Any other suggestions, anyone, please?

@Clare13 I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Virtually all my guests have commented on the little things I've done for them that are not listed anywhere in my listing page.  You can always explain that it was a special occasion, birthday, etc.  Be more careful next time!

Clare13
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

Genius! That's great advice, thank you Clare (great name, by the way!) I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this & will stop worrying about it! Best wishes, across the miles, Clare

@Clare13 Yes, us Clare's need to stick together! 

Kate57
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I agree with this.  I am concerned that such errors cannot be adjusted.

I have just posted a reponse to a private comment and this has become public. I and was guided into it by the question asked below the guests comment which said something like Do You Want to Send a Reply? I did , but not for it to suddenly be public.

This is nothing to do with reviews which I realize are, by definition, public. 

Hi folks, I just made the same mistake.  I wanted to reply to a private suggestion from a guest and ended up with it posted as a PUBLIC response to their review.  It included discussion about other folks by name. It does seem as though you should be allowed to delete a response made in error immediately in this situation, or even edit your response within five minutes.  You can do so on Facebook.  this chould not be a problem. 

AT MINIMUM, airbnb can consider how to make it clear by clearing labeling the text box I used PUBLIC RESPONSE, and direct us how to send a private response to the guest!!!!!  I hope PIP responds to this, or whoever can help correct this problem.

Nancy

EXACTLY!!

They are pro guest seems to me.

Ghasoub0
Level 1
Akureyri, Iceland

There has to be a mechanism in place where hosts and guests can also edit their public review within 48 hours of posting it. We are humans after all and we all make mistakes.