Any helpful tip on how to get a guest to check-out?

Walter171
Level 2
Singapore

Any helpful tip on how to get a guest to check-out?

Had a set of guests who stayed ended and continue to stay on.

Official check-out: 11:00am

Their flight back home is 3:00am the next day.

Never asked if they can stay longer (with or without additional charge) or even asked permission to stay on.

Have leave luggage area but they wants to continue staying while using the shower, air-conditioning, cooking (they burnt a pot during their stay), etc.

11 Replies 11
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Walter171  No.  They are adding a day to their stay.  Go to their reservation and change it by adding a day.  If they don't accept the change on the spot they have to leave.

Walter171
Level 2
Singapore

They were trying to save a day rental. 

@Walter171    Tell them to save it on someone else's dime. Ask them to leave or pay an extra day.

@Walter171  Yes, obviously, but are you trying to save them a day’s rental?  Listen to @Ange2 and @Kath9 and either get them to pay or get them out.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Walter171, of course they were. They either need to pay for an extra day or leave. Do they think a hotel would allow them to stay until midnight or so without paying?

This was an extreme case where they didn't want to tell me when they are going to leave and didn't bother to pack their bags and possibly stay, cook and use all the amenities in the apartment for another 12-13 hours after official checkout time.

If I tried to chase them out, I will get a very bad review (which seems to be a no-no here).

Walter171
Level 2
Singapore

Thanks to all. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

At checkout time or a little after, knock on the door calling ''Housekeeping!'' If someone is still there (overstaying) you say and smile ''That's ok, I'll start stripping the bed while you get the last of your things together. '' They will soon be out. I realise it is too late for this time, but any future issues. This happens frequently for me, guests are reluctant to be out on time. I have a minimum time I really need to get ready so I would NEVER allow that long to pass.

I love this idea but more often than not when this happens to me, they do not answer the door. So I message their cell phone and airbnb message them reminding them of the check out time. Often no reply, just a late check out without permission. I had someone do this and checkout 2 hrs late once which put me in a real pinch trying to prepare for the next guest.  I also include the check out time in the welcome message upon arrival AND send to them the night before! So what can you do in these cases? Can I put in my house rules or someplace else that there is no late check out without prior permission and late checkouts maybe assessed a $25 per hour fee? Will Airbnb allow this? what if they refuse the charge? Any other ideas?

Walter171
Level 2
Singapore

Yes, tried that.  They stay in the room while you are going about cleaning up.  They, also, brought alot of food from the market to prepare lunch and, even, dinner. 

Eric5127
Level 2
Virginia, United States

While it may not completely solve your problem, you can use an electronic door lock where the code changes at check-out time. This would require they reach out to you asking you to give them the new code, and this should be enough evidence they are staying longer. 

When they reach out you can offer late check-out for a fee if you want, or go farther to offer an additional day. They will be forced to respond and you can give them a code that is only good for ~30 minutes to get their stuff out. 

If you do all this, make it very clear in your posting.