Airbnb blocks my calendar

Ron0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb blocks my calendar

I cancelled a guest because it looked suspicious and then the guest cleared the 

problem with me. I tried to get them re-instated but airbnb have blocked those 

dates on my own calendar and trying to reach them is impossible as these discussion 

rooms and centers attest to. They seem to have enough of their own secrets and 

nasty way of dealing with people that it shows no integrity. Especially since they 

have blocked my calendar and I can't unblock it. Who do they think they are?

15 Replies 15
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Ron0 as a host you should never ever cancel (unless you really have no alternative) as Airbnb will block those dates and you will face financial or other penalties like the losss of Superhost status for a year (I know, I am currently in that situation). All you can do is to plead your case to them and ask them to release the dates. The methods and numbers for contacting them are here.

Hi Victoria, 

Thanks for your response. Your link takes me to the airbnb "let's waste more of your time" page.

I got spooked and cancelled and that is my right,...as a host,...it is my home at risk every time I hand it to another guest. I have had damages airbnb will not help me with because I had back to back bookings and I know the last person didn't do it and had proof the one before hand did it,...but airbnb do not have anyone's back. 

They can do whatever they like with my hosting ranking,....as I am so disgruntled with them they can take a jump. 

I have in the past brought other hosts on board,...but I will suggest to anyone from here on the huge risk you take in dealing 

with the likes of airbnb. 

They do not support the people who are there supporting them. They have gotten too big with arrogant disrespectful people 

running the show. 

And what is the point of blocking a calendar? It blocks both parties from making any money. 

The inmates are now running the asylum. 

You do not have instant book, you chose to cancel after accepting. If something new came up you should have contact Air to deal with it.

David

I want to rebook the person but now I can't and Airbnb cannot be reached. I have a listing pending in other words. 

Let us know how things pan out.

David

The prospect couldn't wait so airbnb screwed me out of booking for this weekend. Very ridiculous situation they caused. 

Funny how that comes on the heel of another awesome review from the last person. Oh well,...as I have been witnessing 

over and over again,...airbnb don't care about anyone but themselves. 

yes, I agree that Airbnb has many shortcomings, but it is up to us hosts to familiarize ourselves with the rules they have set, and when we sign up, we do agree to those rules. Arguing about them is futile. It's business. Maybe hosting through Airbnb isn't your thing... good luck!

You've been reported. 

yes, I agree that Airbnb has many shortcomings, but it is up to is hosts to familiarize ourselves with the rules they have set, and when we sign up, we do agree to those rules. Arguing about them is futile. Maybe hosting through Airbnb isn't your thing... good luck!

Do not respond to me again please. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ron0......

Now lets get get a few things straight here Ron!

You decided to use Airbnb as a platform to make money out of your property....correct?

Did you make any attempt to read the rules and regulations that Airbnb have set with regard to hosting?

You were the one who approached the Community Forum for advice....correct??

I have a severe issue with people such as yourself who take no notice of the framework they agree to abide by!

The penalty for a host cancellation is heavy Ron because years ago hosts would cancel guest bookings at the drop of a hat when a better offer came along, or when something didn't quite suit them. You must understand that once a guest has booked with a host they have no doubt made other travel plans based around that booking. When you cancel the financial cost to the prospective guest can be heavy and that is why Airbnb take a hard line when a host cancels a confirmed booking.

My issue with you is, you took no notice of the rules, you mucked a potential guest around because of some preconceived feeling you might have had....You have done everything wrong, and you now have the gaul to tell everyone else that they are to be 'reported' and not to respond to you again!!!!

[Inappropriate content]  DO YOUR HOMEWORK and don't criticise others who give of their valuable time to try and help......Rob

Yes Robin,....let's get a few things straight. Airbnb sent me here which is a community arena to see if there is some solution to 

anyone's problem. I made an error in haste because of something the potential guest said and believed then and still believe there should be an option to undo that quickly if that is the case. The community should be working together to make the system work better for all involved. Some people are renting out places with dollar store accessories and some of us have beautiful homes 

and need to be very careful of who comes in, especially since some of airbnb rules and decisions do not protect us. 

I was given a few constructive suggestions,... [Inappropriate content]

There are maybe 10 regular posters on here, the majority who post do so once, never come back, do they read the answers, who knows.

AirBnB has a valuation of $30 Billion, the basis of which still confuses me but it is what it is.

So how exactly do you expect the 'community' to act? 

I have no idea if AirBnB employees ever read this forum, there is no evidence that they do. They contract out the moderation, and that seems very limited. 

David