Turn off push notification for reviews

Turn off push notification for reviews

Picture this:

You cleaned for 2 hours on top of your regular 8-5, and finished washing & folding five loads of linens from the last guests. New guests are happy in their clean beds and you're snuggling down into yours for some well deserved sleep. Just as you're drifting off, the signature Airbnb noise rings out. It's like a bat signal to your brain: "THE GUEST COULD NEED SOMETHING!" or "NEW RESERVATION!". You roll over to check your phone, only to find that it's a notification that you can now leave a review for the guest who left 8 hours earlier. M*&%(r F@&$*r

When I hear the signature Airbnb ring on my phone, I make every effort to drop what I'm doing, whether it's sleeping or my regular job, to respond. When you add in digital clutter that doesn't require an *immediate* response, you're training my brain to pay less attention to this sound. 

Be wise in the things you send through push. If everything is urgent, then nothing is. Reviews are important, but it's not necessary to interrupt my day or sleep with them.

Please give us the option to turn off "pushed" review notifications.

30 Comments

Couldn't agree with you more. That typical noise always means "immediate action" for me. 

But a review is absolutely not time critical and so it should not steal our sleep. Yes, please let us control if we think that we want to be notified about reviews via push.

Dede0
Level 10

Agree 100%. I want clear notification for important, time-critical things (booking request, a message from a guest) but not for things like a review reminder. Break it down, AirbnB!

Use the Do Not Disturb option on your phone. You can usually set it to go completely quiet between certain hours - but allow calls from selected number (eg family in case of emergency) or on some phone it will allow a call through after a person has tried you X number of times.

Ben76
Level 2

This is SOOOO ANNOYING - incredibly bad UX for all the reasons listed above.  I don't turn on Do Not Disturb - precisely because I want to be distrubed by a guest who needs more towels, etc.  Can this silly review reminder notification entirely, or give me a toggle to turn it off.

Allison2
Level 10

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

I'm aware of the Do Not Disturb setting, but I don't want to block all communication - I've had guests text after 11pm for more heat, lockouts, etc and I would still like to receive those.

They added push notification for reviews recently and I think it was better without - we already get notification on our dashboard and via e-mail. It's not time-sensitive enough to require a push.

Helen56
Level 10

Yes, I agree. Given that we have 14 days to leave a review it is not exactly urgent!

The push/text messages need only be for new bookings or guest communications.

At least give us some options - check boxes for texts. The rest can go to email.

Merrill0
Level 3

Since I'm in the house with the guests most of the time, I can take care of their needs in person. Therefore, I use the Do Not Disturb function on my phone. I must say that if they're out late and having problems, I don't want to know! I ask myself, would I expect a host to help me with a flat tire, not having Uber show up, losing my phone or any of the thousands of things that can go wrong when I travel? I offer my hospitality in my hard-earned home, not a care service for travelers. Hey! there's an idea for a start up!

Boston-Homes0
Level 2

I agree 100%

I am boycotting reviews until AirBnB turns off these push notifications. Join me?

To AirBnB: If you are reading. We love you! Just please fix this bug. It wakes me up the middle of the night, interrupts meetings and dates. It makes me so sad!

I would like to add my voice to this request. The 4:30a notification for a review woke both myself and my huband up this morning and it was far from the first time. 

Please give us the option to be more specific which push notifications we receive - break out reservation requests, guest messages and review reminders into different check boxes in the settings. 

Even better - give us a Quiet Hours option so we can disable ALL notifications in the wee hours of the morning. As great as it is to get a booking request, I don't want to be woken up at 3a about it! (Since Airbnb sends two messages when you get a booking request and husband and I each have the app on our phones, we get four chimes at once, which no one could sleep through.)

Tom90
Level 2
I agree with this. I want all my Airbnb notifications.... EXCEPT the reminder to review a guest... at 1:30 AM... Please give us the opportunity to opt out of "review reminder" notifications. I want to wake up in the middle of the night to accept a new booking... not review a guest.