Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Replace the individual star ratings with a simple thumbs up or down, as in would you recommend/not recommend this guest/host? Eliminates all the issues with getting a 4, or 5, or only a 3. Was is good? Thumbs UP!

Very very simple and streamlined.

71 Replies 71
Rosa82
Level 2
Valencia, Spain

I totally agree.

Nicole158
Level 4
Fredericton, Canada

I agree 100%!!!

Sharon67
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I disagree. I do think there are distinctions between good and excellent or between terrible and acceptable that matter to guests when choosing among various options...similar to hotels. This would be eliminated with simply thumbs up or thumbs down

Nicole158
Level 4
Fredericton, Canada

@Sharon67 But that additional information could be left in their review...
The problem is that people are leaving great reviews but leaving crappy star ratings.. 
They could leave a thumbs up and say, I'd stay again but i wish the bathroom was bigger, there were less stairs, it was raining (seems to be a popular complaint)
Airbnb punishes hosts that don't get consistant 5 stars, which can be a real turnoff for hosts.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Exactly. ''We loved everything but would like a dishwasher'' (no mention of dishwasher supposed to be there). It is an ongoing complaint of hosts. It doesn't work anyway since the guests are so different and rate in an arbitrary fashion. Plus, some have been known to give 1 for excellency. Because it is so obvious!

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I am both host and guest on Airbnb, love the experience!

I came to realize that the reviews, written as well as the star ratings, are unfortunately not a good reflection of the experience either host or guest had: way too many 5 star ratings, prompted by Airbnb's push to HAVE to achieve that!

So a lot of them are not reliable, as it just cannot be the reality of things that everything is super all the time! Hosts may complain in the host forum about certain

guests, but then post a stellar review on that guest... probably out of fear of repercussions. Honesty?

Airbnb could help that problem a LOT by educating guests and hosts on the ratings system , by encouraging all sides to be HONEST, and  by NOT punishing hosts, like withdrawl of superhost status, as soon as there was some minor hick up. Some hosts are not  so good, but also, some guests are not so good either - and they are staying in our homes, not a  hotel, so we need some sympathy and protection, also in the ratings demands.

As guest, I have quickly learned not to rely on the host's place reviews, I just  carefully examine the listing and judge for myself. 

As host, the ratings of a potential guest , because they are mostly all wonderful, just don't help me to discern if a future guest is trouble or not. I don't even have their lst name until the booking is completed, so I can't google them or get any other info.

Please Airbnb, find a better solution to this ridiculous ratings game ! Thank you.

Darryl4
Level 2
Fredericton, Canada

Agreed 100%

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Sandra,

Thank you for taking the time AGAIN to post this for all of the hosts to join in and say 'yes, sounds like a great plan."

I know that hotels have Star Ratings, but its been frustrating lately on how a guests can give me 5 Stars in each category but then turn around and give me a 4 on OVERALL experience, especially after I made them a breakfast to go to eat on their 7:40 am departing flight...and yes, I got up at 5:15AM to make it....such ungratefulness!!!  They didn't even write about that.  And my husband drove them at 5:30 to take them to the airport...also for free.  Guess who wont' be doing that again?  hahaha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Nicole158
Level 4
Fredericton, Canada

@Momi0 Yup. Hotels have star ratings, but the hotel sites dont punish them for having less than 5 stars.. plus we arn't hotels. Airbnb needs to ease up on the hosts. We are the ones making them their money after all!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Nicole158, @Momi0. The hotel/motel star system is quite functional except nobody knows how it works. It is like this: If you want a star rating you book an inspection. You will have boxes ticked (pool? Spa? Kitchen?) whatever. This is why an ugly 70s place can be 5 star, it means all the right boxes are ticked. Then you pay for the inspection and the subsequent rating, and an annual fee to keep it. It means that you know what kind of standard to expect when you book a motel for instance. 4 star means exactly the same thing again and again. But it is inspectors, not guests who do the rating!

I agree totally with this awful 5 star system.  The only thing is I would like is some specific way to know what the guests thought of cleanliness.  When I look for a place to stay that to me is important as a guest.  Even though that is a guest's opinion, as is value and location, it is an important rating.   As a guest you can reasearch value and location on a search site but to get the opinion/review of a guest who saw the cleanliness and condition is helpful. 

John-and-Greg0
Level 2
San Jose, CA

I disagree.

Jenn6
Level 2
Washington, DC

This is one of the better ideas I've seen so far. If Airbnb treated the star ratings the way any normal person would think of them (i.e. 3 = average, 4= great, 5 = above and beyond), then it wouldn't be so bad. Before I became a host I had NO idea that Airbnb considered anything below a 5 to be a terrible rating. I would wager most guests do not know this either- especially if they are new. I really like the idea of eliminating the star rating altogether as I find it very unhelpful as both a guest and a host. But if Airbnb must keep the star rating system the way it is, please put more of an explanation during the review process (e.g. show what each numerical value actually indicates; give examples of why a guest might give that rating). A guest might think they are giving you a great rating by giving you 4 stars and have no way of knowing otherwise. It's just not fair to hosts or guests.
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Or, if that is too simple, an overall choice of gold, silver, bronze. At least whatever your cultural background you understand which is best, which doesn't always happen with the ratings since 1 is the best rating for some.