Review Stars

Kelcey0
Level 4
Seattle, WA

Review Stars

I'm fine with the "overall" stars to the public, but it would be nice to know the exact stars left by each individual reviewer so that i can improve as necessary.

17 Replies 17
Jason90
Level 2
Gatineau, Canada

I have to agree with you on this! 

Lawrence1
Level 4
San Francisco, CA

can we do away with Location?  It is misleading to both guests and hosts.

Jenine1
Level 2
Medellin, Colombia

I also, agree. But I have made an excel sheet where I keep track of the points given, the name of the guest, and a total of the reviews at the bottom, and try to check the airbnb graph as soon as a guest leaves a review.  That way I know pretty much what points I got from them.  The graph usually says, Your last ... reviews were .... points, or something like that.  If it doesn´t say that you can be pretty sure you didn´t get a 5 on the last review in that area.  

Agnes30
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Maybe you are right, but about 5- 15 percent of the guests put stars according to their current mood, and not to the accomodation - or partly to their mood. Sometimes if you get more information it turns your attention to false direction. At least I had this experience during the last two years.

Hana12
Level 10
Catalonia, Spain

I agree. It may be that rainy weather, a discussion with the taxi driver or bad service restaurant the night before, influence the general comment.

Andrea218
Level 10
United States

Like Jenine,i've a Spreadsheet where i track the reviews by category - Kelcey- you can find that info. under "STATS".   I think it's odd though, that "COMFORT" is not one of the categories, wehn i think we all agree that COMFORT is so important when travelling - more important than "arrival"...arrival is one moment; comfort is for the duration of the stay. 

Donna88
Level 2
Hyattsville, MD

couldn't agree more. You can't fix what you don't know. Being told you have 2 3 star reviews out of 154 is not helpful.

Hanna13
Level 2
Port Jefferson, NY

I am a super host, and generally get very favorable reviews.   I recently hosted a crotchety older couple.  It was their first experience with Airbnb.   I was shocked when I read their review, and I believe they gave me one star on several things.    I don't know if they were having a bad day, or expected the Waldorf Astoria, but I thinks hosts should have the ability to drop one review a year if they choose.   It negatively affected my total rating, and was quite upsetting!

We would agree with all the above comments and we too are fine with the current star system - one area that could be improved would be for airbnb to ask why a lower rating was given.

We get five star reviews 92% of the time (what's causing 8% to give us four?) a great example of 'mood' being a factor is our most recent four star rating: the guest gave us five stars in all six categories.

5 Stars for: Cleanliness, Accuracy, Value, Communication, Arrival, and even Location. He gave us 4 stars for over all experience!!

It would be appropriate for airbnb to ask prior to feedback completions:
"We see you have five stars for every category (or even five of six categories) can you tell us why it was a four star experience?" This might help people re-evaluate why they are 'dinging' a host who's usually worked hard to make sure their stay is comfortable.
Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Host Voice Admin
SF, CA

It would be useful if each star rating had a box where the guest could type in, (limited characters of course), why they gave less than 5 stars. It would help the hosts know what to improve, if possible.

Or at least a legend explaining the unique Airbnb Star System:

5 Stars = Pass

4 Stars = Failing

3 Stars = Failed

2 Stars = Failed badly

1 Star = Failed miserably

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You can see who left the stars, just check the stats page? You can see who last left a review. So unless you have many properties, you will know. A review comes in, go to Stats.

David641
Level 3
Union Bridge, MD

We used to see the stars for each review, please put them back. I love the idea of automating a question of why an overall 5 star rating was not left if all the other categories were 5 stars, and require an answer before leaving the page or posting the review. Finally, get Location out of the rating! It makes no sense. As hosts we can't change our location, so there is no way to improve it. So long as our actual location is described in the listing truethfully, the guest chose our spece. If it didn;t meet his expectation for location, perhaps he chose due to price, and the price was low due to location. It just makes no sense!

Tania68
Level 2
New York, NY

I think Air B and B should inform travellers of the impact their stars will have. Some guests who just don't give 5 star reviews out of principle may change their practice