Please make the pop-up message on InstantBook more truthful.

Please make the pop-up message on InstantBook more truthful.

When you search AirBnB as a guest, you get this pop up now: 

Capture.JPG

The button text is "Show Instant Book Listings".   But at this point, Instant Book listings are already shown.  What it actually does is HIDE listings that don't have instant book turned on.  It even hides listings that have instant book turned on only for guests with previous successful stays.

I think a lot has been said about InstantBook already and my personal opinion is that in a *community*, especially a community that involves close personal contact, it is a *good thing* to talk to each other like human beings do. 

But we can agree to disagree here; if InstantBook is the new way to go about things then that's fine.  But can we be honest in the way the message is delivered?    So a button text like "Show *Only* Instantbook Listings"  or "Hide hosts that prefer to chat with me first." ?

Or how about more than one button actually.  People don't get much of a choice, do they?

35 Comments
Marcy1
Level 10

Thank you for your comment. I agree with you wholeheartedly. 

I didn't get the instant book box, maybe Airbnb admin has already made the change.

Best, Marcy

Ange2
Level 10

So Airbnb say: " IB makes It easier to make a reservation because you don't have to wait for the host approval!"

But is it? I am talking mostly about "shared" spaces where the host is on the premises.

Many guests do not read the description so it becomes a huge task for hosts to write back, call Airbnb and have the reservation cancelled or be penalized for cancelling it themselves with a fine and blocked dates and a detrimental effect on their listing in searches.

QUESTION: Who is it easier for. The guest? The host? or Airbnb?

ANSWER: Airbnb.

Airbnb make money any which way - from collection of the guest fee if the guest cancels, to a whopping $100 fine for the host if they cancel.

Jiw0
Level 10

Well, they make money initially.  But I'm willing to bet there will be a lot more call center drama this time next year than there was last year.

Dealing with all the crap related to cancellations takes effort (and cost) too.

Sandra126
Level 10

Actually, we have graduated from that to total invisibility for some users. Am on the phone to Airbnb right now as I want to know if this is the way forward.

Dave-and-Ant0
Level 3

I agree.  The button should say: "Only show me InstantBook listings"

That would be much more transparent.

Linda108
Level 10

I like the idea of offering an option of IB or contact the host to see if there is a mesh of need and listing.  Allow the traveler to be proactive if desired.

Sue77
Level 4

I just discovered this is happening to me without any kind of announcement or notice from Airbnb.  I discovered quite by accident that IB is now the default filter for guests and any host not using IB simply doesn't show up anywhere on the map or list to any guest. I am adamantly opposed to being "forced" to use IB in order to appear to guests. Whey even be listed then? This is totally against the spirit of Airbnb and puts us in the exact same category as hotels. I have been a very happy Superhost for Airbnb for a year with 7 listings and counting and am extremely angry they would treat hosts like this.  Agree with previous comment that this certainly is discrimination. Of course guests may certainly choose this filter if they like, but it definitely should NOT be the default since most travelers have no idea that there is even a choice or probably care.  But I know I and many of you other hosts most certainly do care who comes into our homes and expect to communicate first before we decide.  Please everyone contact Airbnb and let them know we will take our listings elsewhere if they don't change it back.  I am calling them now and ask others here to help me contact them in writing somehow.  I'm not good on the computer, don't tweet, but can email and sign petitions etc. 

Dave68
Level 3

This is happening in my area too. It's unfair. They say "guests prefer Instant Book" but that's not true. Only 1/3 of the listing in my area have it on and they're not the most booked places. They're usually lesser quality places that want a quicker buck. Not the carefuly thought out places.

Sadly, this has everything to do with discrimination and taking control AWAY from the host. We're watching Airbnb unfold into an evil corporation right before our eyes. 

I'm going to the Airbnb Open in a few weeks and plan to speak my mind on this insanity. 

Taking control away from hosts is not cool. 

Jude7
Level 10

Thank you @Dave68, for going to the Open to share your thoughts. I agree completely with your comments and you're speaking for a lot of us. We'll be all over the world cheering you on!

I think the Airbnb concept is a wonderful one, but I'm sadly watching it become something else. I have never before seen a company that seems so out of touch with those whom it serves, in this case, both guests and hosts. It seems as if the company is committed to serving its own needs, which any entrepreneur will tell you, is a recipe for failure. 

The Airbnb concept has been a resounding success. Its failure would be very sad, indeed. 

Jude

PS As a guest I would never use IB, as I want to stay with a host who's more discriminating. I'd be curious to know how many Superhosts use IB?

Jennifer178
Level 10

Hi,

I have Superhost status.  I have used both, Instant Booking and regular.  I see the IB window popping up now when I look at my area as a guest and I do not want to be locked out of getting bookings.  With IB on I still have people who contact me first to establish a dialogue.  I live here too (single middle-aged female) so I do need to be careful whom I let in my home.  My descriptions and house rules discourage partiers.  Mostly I get people here for conferences, family events and work events.   I have a minimum 3 day notice for bookings and I am blocked one day before and after a stay. No last minute bookings or same day arrivals for me. I have a 2 night minimum stay.  I always greet the person at the door to make sure there are no surprises.

These are the only ways  for me to feel comfortable with IB.  I have been  really lucky with great guests through both booking options. I resent the fact that I am pushed to use it but maybe I have minimised the risk.  Once people are are booked, I can then look them up and get more familiar with them.  If I felt really uncomofrtable at that point, I could cancel. 

I do not think guests see IB hosts as not careful or choosey.  And more and more people will have no choice.  I show up in all searches. They look more at the reviews and info provided.