Don't cancel anyone without contacting airbnb first

Crystal4
Level 2
Charleston, SC

Don't cancel anyone without contacting airbnb first

I would like the hosts to understand the repurcussions of cancelling someone. Because of the glitch in their system their rep told me, sometimes one of my spaces opens up. I have to monitor it daily. Twice someone booked a room that was booked. So, I cancelled them. This is in a 6 year period of time. So I was not able to be a super host ever. They finally admitted the glitch. But the truth is it means $1000's in lost income due to folks looking only for super hosts to stay with.  Nevermind that I meet every other category way above the minimum. And over the last 6 years have hosted over 3000 people. My number of days and price point will not be as high as they would be with superhost status. I feel I should be compensated for their error. But no offer is forthcoming. I have been told I am up for consideration for super host next month. Don't hold your breath. I love participating with airbnb and the experience of hosting and meeting all my amazing guests has been fabulous and life affirming. Sooo, if you are tempted to cancel, one cancellation will prevent you from being a superhost for a year!!!!!  I booked 168 people last year and the one cancellation (not my fault, theirs) resulted, they say in a 99% committment rating. Well in my 6th grade class the numbers  still at 100%. Or 99.7% rounded to the nearest number 100%.  BTW, noone was offended by the cancellation, it was so far ahead.  Sooo, sure hope I get it next month!!!! Since you won't be cancelling anyone, call airbnb, let them handle it, but first ask the guest to do the dirty work. Then you can accept their request. On rare occassions guests have to leave early and want a refund, but I tell them they have to go to airbnb first and request. Most don't bother.  But don't you run to the computer and cancel them or you will be punished. You can also block instant book to make sure someone doesn't book a room that really isn't available. Remember if you want to be a super host, never ever cancel anyone. Let airbnb do that!

6 Replies 6
Stephan42
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

We are new to the hosts community (almost one month) and had a incident last night when someone booked dates that were unavailable on our calendar.   Within 5 minutes of booking, we contacted the guest and apologized profusely, explaining we had no idea how this could have happened.

We contacted Airbnb immediately and after further investigation, they agreed to modify the cancellation to neutral.  So far, it seems that they are reasonable, but I can't speak to your experience or that of other hosts.  I agree that achieving SuperHost has financial repercussions.  I would be as frustrated if situations out of my control were causing me to lose potential revenues.

Thanks for sharing.

Stephan

Lyn27
Level 2
Plymouth, MN

When I 1st found out about hosting with Airbnb I knew nothing of the "Superhost" status, never was an important thought or reason to offer my guest suite to complete strangers. After hosting for six months it is more than ever NOT IMPORTANT to me. What is important is the guest reaction(s), happiness, security while in my home environment & the continuing peace & quiet in my residential neighborhood. So, don't worry about that silly "Superhost" status. If I never reach those idiotic statistics I won't loose a wink of sleep, but if ever one of my guests is upset with me or my accomodations, I will think about whether or not to host in the future. Hosting is what it is, financial for some, sharing other cultures for yet a handful of hosts, a way not to waste space for empty nesters, to be able to stay in ones long occupied home is practical for anyone healthy enough to host. :+}

DragonflyHill-Collective0
Level 10
Desert Hot Springs, CA

Superhosts cannot cancel and retain superhost status, FOR ONE YEAR. So if you cancelled less than a year ago, you may have to wait to regain superhost status. If it was more than a year ago, then that's not why you don't have superhost status. 

Jude17
Level 2
Powell River, Canada

What can I say-Never asked to be a "SuperHost and had to notify a person for cancellation after huge storm damage and ensuing ronos...

And get this perma-posting "you are at risk!"

After 3 years and great hosting I want this eliminated...

HELLO AIRBNB? ARE YOU THERE???

Tom40
Level 2
Morro Bay, CA

What do I do about a guet that does not want to send photo ID to Airbnb/  I need and answer now.

I have only been a Host a short time, but I'm busy. I have Instant Booking, self check in, and low prices. Now that the weather is warmer, it seems like every drifter on the planet is converging on my city, "looking for work" and never leaving my house. They're the ten percenters that make up 90% of our work.

They have blurry photos of someone's kids. A nickname that is different from their identified name which is different again from the name on their reviews. They have no bio, don't introduce themselves or what they're in town for, and it goes without saying that they totally ignore your descriptions, rules, and terms. And they don't answer my questions.

One guy booked me this week and didn't even know what city I was in.

The Airbnb rules are simple and straightforward. If a prospective guest can't follow them prior to booking, what's it going to be like when they arrive on my doorstep "some time in the afternoon". To them, their $100 payment means I'm responsible for the rest. 

This is NOT fun. 

I may have some leverage because of nearly 30 trips, and a high approval rating. Most of the time I work things out with people. I don't sweat the small stuff. But some people just aren't interested in co-operating. By the time I call Airbnb, I'm at my wit's end. I'm looking for advice. Is there a civil way that we can turn this around? What have I missed? What can WE do?   

That's what Airbnb customer service is for, and they are absolutely brilliant at it. Airbnb has helped me out of some rather difficult situations. It's an ace card that I use only when I absolutely need it, and always with the understanding that they may not see things my way, but at least it's fair. 

Many of them are also Hosts, and make some good suggestions on how to avert difficulty in the future. 

In the time it took me to compose this, I had another enquiry - no city, no social media references, no validation, no bio. They want to know why I declined their stay.

And the beat goes on.......;)