ADVERTISING TO GET GUESTS TO CITIES EXPERIENCING MARKET SATURATION.

DragonflyHill-Collective0
Level 10
Desert Hot Springs, CA

ADVERTISING TO GET GUESTS TO CITIES EXPERIENCING MARKET SATURATION.

Despite the high cost of housing in L.A., listing prices are dropping so drastically that it really makes hosting very difficult. We're working so hard to keep high quality service and have been superhosts since our first quarter as hosts, but when guests are paying less than 50$ a night or rooms go empty, it's hard to make ends meet.  (Also once prices get below $50 a night, reviews get worse and guests get more problematic!) 

A lot of hosts are having this problem in L.A.. It seems the answer to this problem is.... more guests!!!! So perhaps AIRBNB could start advertising internationally, or at least nationally, for cities where there  are signifcantly more hosts than guests. Bring the guests to the cities!!! Maybe offer incentives. If a listing goes for $100 a night, but you offer a minor incentive, you're still making more than if it goes for 50$ a night. 

5 Replies 5
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@DragonflyHill

Great suggestion, another more controversial one would be to eliminate third party hosts or at the very least give home OWNERS a higher ranking as it would appear that many third parties are in this exclusively for profit and without consent of their landlords.

Marie-Claire3
Level 5
Waltham, MA

I've noticed a big drop in Boston, too, and I attribute it to Trump's executive order on immigration.  I used to have so many guests from overseas, but not anymore.  I've had to lower my prices, and with taxes and fees, and the work to be done, it's hardly worth renting short-term anymore.

Andrea39
Level 10
Rome, Italy

Same in Rome (ITALY) 25% less than January and February 2016. 

Lisa14
Level 3
Silver Spring, MD

EXTREMELY SLOW TO NO BOOKINGS..

Last year 2016 at this time I was booked to November 2016...

Now if any, I get 1 booking per month...

Wow!!! I've never experienced this before..

Kathleen-M-0
Level 3
Rochester, NY

When I started hosting two plus years ago there were 5 other homes hosting in the general area - 3 mile radius.  As of yesterday, Jan. 8, when I really sat down to look, there are 111.  So if you are not getting bookings, start taking a look at all the listings in your area.  airbnb is now featuring the HIGHEST priced properties first, usually entire homes or apartments, then come the "suites" comprised of one or two bedrooms with a bathroom and kitchenette or small fridge, microwave, etc.  LASTLY come the original HOSTS of airbnb - people who rent a room in their home, the home in which THEY ACTUALLY LIVE, in a neighborhood they actually KNOW.  airbnb is simply saturating every market and the higher priced listings which bring airbnb higher fees come up first.  airbnb "suggested" I lower my price from $45 per night with breakfast included to $24 with INSTANT BOOK, the worst idea possible.  My home is on the New York and Federal Registers of Historic Homes, I worked years to get it there and I actually CARE who stays in my HOME.  The original concept of airbnb, home sharing, has been tossed to the wayside.  It does not help when absentee landlords, rental companies, apartment complexes are all loading up their properties on airbnb.  I live in a university town where many young people doing research, doctoral studies, etc. come to stay. There are listings in the WORST, most crime ridden, gang riddled areas we call "murder city", flops people bought up, painted, chucked out the roaches and rats and charge $18 a night. To young men and women coming from abroad, money is tight and they are staying in these places.  airbnb needs to start classifying properties - RENTAL HOME, RENTAL APARTMENT, RENTAL ROOM IN PRIVATE HOME, etc.  When people are renting out entire UNFURNISHED homes on airbnb - a futon on the floor with a lamp and table with chair - it's time to find another way to go.