small damages

Anat0
Level 1
Haifa, Israel

small damages

i've been hosting about 20 times and always had a very good experience, however my last guests left some damages and i don't know how to aproach the whole thing. they were a couple with a 2 year old girl. on the first day of their stay they sent me photo of the curtain holder ripped out of it's hole in the wall. 

when i came back home after they checked out i found the place sparkling clean. however there is now a major leak from one of the sinks (really major and there wasn't any problem with it beforehand) and also found there was a pee stain on my bed! and they turned the matress upside down. 

now i have no idea how to talk with them. i didn't put any security deposit to my listing because i never had any bad experience till now... 

i feel i am mostly upset that they were not honest at least regarding the last issue.... i would very much apreciate your experienced advices!

1 Reply 1
Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

@Anat0

You could send them a message along the lines of 'Thanks for cleaning the place so well. You left a few bits of damage that have cost me some money to put right, so I'm hoping you'll be happy to cover the bill...'

But more likely, see it as a cost of doing business. If this is the first damage in 20 stays, you're probably doing okay. I put aside a few pounds per guest to cover unintentional damage and because I know I won't get money out of people for things like pee stains!

Also, think carefully about the age of guests you allow. I now provide bed wetting mattress protectors. They cost money, but less than a new mattress.