Lizeth0
Level 2
Napa, CA

should i charge extra for breakfast?

2 Replies 2
Mark560
Level 2
Indian Hills, CO

I'm new to hosting, but I'm making continental breakfast free, at least for now, and charging for a hot breakfast.  I'm trying to decide what to charge, but I'm leaning toward $10/person.

Linda848
Level 2
Townsend, TN

I would be interested in any responses you received regarding charging extra for a hot cooked breakfast as I provide a continental breakfast as complimentary.  It has become rather expensive to provide a full cooked hot breakfast, therefore I have only just begun charging $5 per person.  The first group of guests were glad to pay.  

The next set of guests told me they wanted to "think about it"; (A couple with 1 child about 7 yrs old and an adult friend).  They arrived late in the evening and wanted to know if they could use the microwave to cook their food.  They also did not have any plates etc, so used paper plates that were on the breakfast bar and my silverware and dishes.  They inquired as to where to purchase some wine.  As it was too late for the businesses in our town, we gave them an unopened bottle of wine we had on hand from the Biltmore Estate in Ashville.  

Before bedtime, I again asked if they would be wanting the hot cooked breakfast (bacon, scrambled eggs, grits, potatoes, and buttered toast with assorted jams and jellies, orange juice, milk or coffee with fixings for $5 each); they said they would only pay for 1 breakfast for their 7yr old son and he wanted 2 fried eggs.  They used the microwave and toaster and all ate from the continental breakfast bar (Honey Nut Cherrios, Raisin Brand and Frosted Flake cereal, as well as assorted single-serving boxes, packets of oatmeal, packets of grits, bread, peanut butter and jelly and jams, honey and butter for the toast, orange juice and milk or water and coffee with flavored creamers and regular.)

My husband and I live on social security which makes for a very tight budget.  We started hosting with Airbnb to supplement our income.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I felt taken advantage of as these guests were world travelers that had been to numerous foreign countries on their travels.  I felt they could have well afforded the $5 each for breakfast.  I would like others opinions on this issue.