same day reservations

Eric936
Level 1
Miami Beach, FL

same day reservations

does anhybody allow this and is payment guaranteed?

13 Replies 13
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Many host allow the same day booking, but one of the problems is that there can be a delay in payment if there are any issues with the payment method.  It appears that many hosts that haven't been paid have been related to same day booking.

@Eric936 - yes, we take same-day only when the guest books before 8am. We've always received payment since Airbnb takes it before finalizing the booking. 

Same day bookings are often troublesome guests, btw, so be aware of that.  Last-minute bookers have an issue, thus the lack of planning and forethought.  In my experience, they are  (1) leaving another property/reservation unhappy so you are starting on a bad foot, (2) they are absent-minded/flighty and may not thoughtful about you or your home,  or (3) are escaping some personal situation which may affect you.  Every single one of our last minute bookers has marked us down in some way.  Luckily, there haven't been too many. 

Having said all that - wow! - do you still accept same-dayers?

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @Eric0

I allow such bookings as I’m an Instant Book host.

No problems so far, payment is done and all is good.

You can be an instant book host, and not allow same days!

In fact that's probably the majority of instant hosters!

You can adjust your settings so that people can only instant book up to a certain delay 7 days - 1 day before arrival...

I made a mistake in my settings and had "same day" set up.

What stress, someone contacted at 6:30 pm for same day arrival and I'm not there I'm 2000 km away.

Never again!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

we stopped taking same day bookings after one guy booked and had to check in few hours later. I immediatelly looked at his reviews and found out that they are bad . I spent a couple of hours to contact Airbnb and let them cancel this reservation and relocate him. They did it just 30 min before his arrival. To stressfull :(.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Eric936 

Payment is not guaranteed at anytime, the host is liable for fraudulant cards and chargebacks.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Jeff

That's interesting as I was under the impression it was air bnb who had verified guest payment methods, as I use air bnb as a guest myself and I had to verify the details of my credit card, including expiry dates etc as a condition of being able to use the air bnb platform as a guest.

When I get a same day booking or any booking as I’m an Instant Book host, the payment is accepted and gone through immediately with a message saying payment of XYZ from guest XYZ and that it will be in my payment account by such and such a date.

I do not use PayPal, but an account set up specifically for my air bnb activity.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Victoria567  The systems not perfect,  dodgy cards get through and unhappy guests do chargebacks. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/terms/payments_terms

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Jeff

So far no dodgy cards, no dodgy charge backs either just my payments going through without problems .

Therefore no issues so far with same day bookings 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

I do but only up to a time period of 1pm and my check in time is 3pm. I have never had a problem with payment. the people that booked were generally great. Some had come  straight from the airport ( who would do that?) 😉 Others on the spur of the moment from our biggest city. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I do sameday until 8 PM at night. I have not had any issues with payments no being made. 

Janeen5
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

We just took in last minute guests for 6 nights. What a mistake. We hadn't had guests since New Years & thought the $ would be helpful... I should add I'd just lowered our rate for that week. Never again. They left the place a disaster. Cooked food left out on the counter, Cans & bottles all over, a pan full of grease in the sink, plus they wore shoes all over inside in spite of signs all over to leave shoes at the door. I willl fully be screening people the best I can from here out & no more last minute guests.