quicken or quickbooks for rentals?

Holly315
Level 2
Portsmouth, NH

quicken or quickbooks for rentals?

Does anyone use and recommend quicken or quickbooks for rentals?  I would appreciate all thoughts and feedback.  Other software you prefer?  Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3
Jason114
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

I'd say the top accounting systems today are Xero and QuickBooks Online. Some people use Wave Accounting because it's free but it may not be enough depending on your needs. QuickBooks Online is the most popular system used in North America and has the most support in terms of accountants certified. There's also a plugin that perfectly integrates Airbnb with QuickBooks Online for automatic importing of reservation income called BNBTALLY (you can find it in the QuickBooks app store) - this makes reservation reconciliation so much easier and precise.

While Quicken has been around for some time, it hasn't seemed to have kept up with the others mentioned. At the same time, some people also use spreadsheets to track everything but if you have more than one listing, it's much better to have a well-supported system. There are a few other options, like Zoho and Sage but there are not as many accountants that support them.

Cheers!

For over a year now, my accountant set up Quickbooks and connected my Airbnb account with BNBTALLY: https://www.bnbtally.com/ 

It's been working great. All of my Airbnb reservations are processed automatically, all itinerary items are allocated appropriately and my commissions are deducted to pay myself on the fly. All listings are allocated separately so I can see the performance of each listing precisely. Very reliable, I don't need to worry about anything. I highly recommend QuickBooks over Quicken because the community of accountants that support QuickBooks is much larger, which means more options. Bnbtally also has templates for QuickBooks that can be easily imported for Airbnb accounting...

Airbnb QuickBooks Templates: https://www.bnbtally.com/airbnb/quickbooks/chart-of-accounts-template 

*paid post comment by bnbtally