poor integration of Airbnb messaging?

Dee19
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

poor integration of Airbnb messaging?

Hi All

I'm really bummed with Airbnb right now. I have a 100% response rate and generally communicate with guests via SMS or email. This has worked great for over a year. I have just had a guest who messaged me twice (once about early check-in and once about late check-out, so things that really matter!) and both times I messaged back immediately saying yes. The messages show as sent on my phone, but she never received them and they don't reflect in my Airbnb dashboard. So obviously they were sent into a void. This is so infuriating as a) I now have a nasty review (my first) and b) I feel like I can't trust the system. That means having to go into the app everytime. 

Have others had this problem? How do you ensure that communication is happening smoothly? Do you have to double-check everything??

Dee

9 Replies 9
Vini0
Level 2
Netherlands

Hi,

Sorry to know this, but I double check the things important and specially when I don't get
reply from the guest then I message them back. Yes!! It can come times over the top but I mention that since I didn't get your reply, I am messaging you back. SystemSystem can go wrong, in my opinion, sometimesometime. Best of luck
Thanks
Dee19
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Vini. I subsequently tried to message her from within the message centre and although it "sends" (so no error message or anything) it doesn't show even in the message centre. I messaged two other guests today and they went through fine. Would love to know what the problem actually is - a  system glitch or something specific to that guest. 

Dee
Saima0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I always use the app and not email/sms as I feel these aren't reliable. Sorry to hear about this!
Annecke-and-Johan0
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I just had my first booking and communicated well with the guest , but yesterday (24/06) which was the check-in date, I could not communicate/save any messages on Airbnb - something is definately wrong...

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Dee19, Yes Dee, if you want to be sure then you have to double check.

Sending sms or any message is like sending a carrier pigeon, you don't know for sure where the message went, what happened along the way or whether the pigeon had a perch in working order to land on at the other end. On top of all that, until you receive a reply you cannot assume the pigeon arrived safey. 

One certainly feels a sense of admiration for the pigeon, considering the nature of the journey and the things that could go wrong along the way.  

Anecdote alert:

I once met some travellers who were from a very far away contry from my own. Life was very different in that country, and particularly different from the region where we happened to meet. FNQ. or Far North Queensland. At a beach north of Hopevale and looking out towards Lizard Island. There are very few roads in this area and of those, very few carry names on international maps. These tourists had driven up the coast in a campervan into restricted region without realising it. We greeted the  husband and wife who appoached our location on the beach. In the distance we could see their vehicle being driven by someone further down the beach. 

As we were speaking to them, we saw over their shoulders that their campervan was sinking into the wet wave washed sand which separates the beach from the ocean. ~~..-..~..`..<..<.,~.o^o...

After hours of work to haul their hire vehicle out, we remarked on their predicament and location;

Their response " There were no signs!" [to say we should not drive/stop on the wet sand, drive into private-indigenous lands, or put our vehicle in the hands of our 16 year old]

My response, "It's a big country."

There are areas where you are not going to find signs, it's  a vast area and just too much to expect signs everywhere. In Australia we do have modern technology but it has limitations and service/reception, drop outs occur.

Some areas do not have reliable reception.

All over the world there are situations which interfere with reception.

If you are communicating with travellers on the move, for sure there will be reasons your message didn't land safely. It would be best to never assume the message got through. 

When you send messages to your guests, you can opt to close with a phrase such as "RSVP to confirm that you have received this message". All these little things/steps help manage glitches out of your interactions.

As you have seen there can be no assumptions, that has already proven to be risky. 

Managing communications will be part of doing business. Always.

Best Regards, Christine.

Dee19
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks all. This is great advice and point well taken about double checking everything. BUT ... today I am trying to send messages to my prospective guests. Four went through fine (from within the Airbnb app) and the fifth just doesn't show at all. I have tried sending from within the app and using the email address and neither works! So, I have double-checked and something's obviously not working .... what to do??

xxDee

Dee19
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks all. This is great advice and point well taken about double checking everything. BUT ... today I am trying to send messages to my prospective guests. Four went through fine (from within the Airbnb app) and the fifth just doesn't show at all. I have tried sending from within the app and using the email address and neither works! So, I have double-checked and something's obviously not working .... what to do??

xxDee

I've had recent trouble lately, too, with spotty transmission of messaging (to guests who are still in their homes before traveling to me, I'm fairly certain).  Some go through, so don't - even within a stream of text notes.

Came looking to see if there was a general feeling there was something afoot, as it affects my "rhythm" of communicating with guests and their ability to communicate with me.  A recent "upgrade" that isn't bug-free?  Something.

I can add a "please let me know you got this" note at the end, but ... frustrating.

Heather in Steubenville, OH

Yes, communication by AIRBNB has seriously deteriorated. Telephone meassages left are not answered, and there is do direct simple way to communicate by email. Messaging usually works, but I I accept instant reservations and people have been showing up at my door without AIRBNB alerting me via email. I  have been a host for about 5 years and all s gone smoothly, but recently communicatio has fallen apart. James[Personal information hidden], Asheville, NC