long-term rental, special offer, early departure

Pamela152
Level 1
Moline, IL

long-term rental, special offer, early departure

i have a long-term renter in my apartment  (dec 30-mar 24)

i gave her an amazing discount

she wants to cancel for the last week, which i am okay with, however

i am only going to give her a refund IF i can fill the apartment for that last week.

so i had her submit a request to change her res so that it ends on march 17

however, it "appears" as tho if i "accept" it, then airbnb will issue her the refund...which i do not want to happen.

so, QUESTION is:

how can i open up that last week without airbnb issuing a refund?

thanks in advance,

pam

3 Replies 3
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Pamela152,

As the booking is for more than 28 days the long term cancellation policy automatically applies even though your policy for short stays is the strict one.

From what the long term policy says I think that Airbnb shouldn't give any refund if she shortens her stay.

The long term policy says:

If the guest books a reservation and decides to cancel the reservation during their stay, the guest must use the online alteration tool in order to agree to a new checkout date. Regardless of the checkout date chosen, the guest is required to pay the host for the 30 days following the cancellation date, or up to the end date of the guest’s original reservation if the remaining portion of the original reservation is less than 30 days.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

Steve.

thank you so much for your reply

so i went back to my cancelation request page with a new understanding.  but now i see something i didnt understand before....airbnb is giving me the option to waive the cancel policy or use the cancel policy, but it also has reverted the nightly rate back to my usual rate, when i have given her a deep discount for the long-term rental period (while we were out of town)

so then i read that airbnb will either charge or refund the guests according to which i click on...which means that regardless of which i click on, she will be charged at my "normal" rate which is about another $1500 more...which is not my intention.  we are square money-wise...i just need the calendar opened up for that last 7 night of her res.

any other ideas of how to open the calendar, guest not get charged again, and life go on....

🙂

thx

pam

Hello @Pamela152,

I forgot about the effect the special offer might have.

Unless you contact Airbnb and they can make the change in some way the only thing you can do is accept the change and then refund your guest.

Accepting the change will open the calendar, your guest will be charged according to your noemal rate and you can refund thw didference between that and the special offer.

To contact Airbnb type "contact airbnb" in the "Search the community" box on these questions pages. Then click the "Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide" link. That post has a "Contact Airbnb" link.

Steve.