instant booking guest has no profile photo

Anna491
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

instant booking guest has no profile photo

Hi all, I've had an instant booking come through, and the message just said Hello. There is a random profile photo and it's definitely not of a person. How can i contact Airbnb to get them to chase this guest. I don't want them staying if they don't have a full profile and obey the rules. Thanks

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Anna491  If the traveler does not meet your Instant Book requirements, you can cancel the booking.  Many people do not use full face profile pictures, however.  When I come across that, I request that they load the picture along with all my requirements before I approve.  If they booked under IB, I cancel the booking and advise them I will consider once they meet my requirements.  While Air BNB is trying to get profile pictures to be full face, they haven't gotten to all members yet.

Also, it appears that new guests are not booking in the "spirit" of Air BNB which seeks to establish a host-guest relationship.  Now if you think there is something not right about the user, go to the flag under the profile name and report user.

Anna491
Level 2

a belated thank you

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Instead of getting Airbnb to chase the person (which, honestly, probably wont happen) you can kindly request your guest update their profile and complete their verifications.  Reitterate your rules to the guest and ask them a few questions about the intention of their stay in your area.  If they do not respond or do not comply, you can get in touch with Airbnb to cancel their reservation.

Many people are new to Airbnb and don't understand the minimum required of them - take this time to educate them and express why it's important they have a complete profile and verifications.

Susannah4
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

I just had a guest book and his profile picture is of his garden and has no face. That sketches me out that I won't be able to know for sure that it is him when he checks in.

@Susannah4 You can kindly request your guest update their profile picture.  Reitterate your rules to the guest and ask them a few questions about the intention of their stay in your area.  If they do not respond or do not comply, you can get in touch with Airbnb to cancel their reservation.

Many people are new to Airbnb and don't understand the minimum required of them - take this time to educate them and express why it's important they have an actual picture of themselves.

Bonnie29
Level 2
Oceano, CA

There is now a new and dangerous policy of NO PHOTOS.  Photos not required.

As a single woman the “verified” means almost nothing. Now they are taking away photos of the people.  So you cannot know if the person showing up at your door is the same person that booked the room. 

My message from Air B&B: 

The feature you were referring to was a recent update and for those that have the letters you will not be able to view the picture. I apologize for any inconveniences. I completely understand that you have a reasonable concern about upcoming guests who will be staying at your listing.

With the slight adjustment to the website and mobile application that shouldn’t stop you from checking whether the guest is verified or not. You can visit the profile page by clicking on the guest’s name in message thread. They will also be able review that he or she has verified their ID using a social network or offline ID.

This is just not acceptable and dowright dangerous for single hosts. 

Anna491
Level 2

Hi is this a new policy or is this based on that response you got from the call centre possibly?  

Be interesting to know.

Anna491
Level 2

And not sure what you meant by "letters".