complain about hosts rudeness

Alison435
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

complain about hosts rudeness

I've just stayed in Amsterdam  - the communication between the host and I was good and I was looking forward to my stay. On initial showround he cleaned the bedrom sink with a tissue and emptied the bin as we were talking. The room wasn't ready. I didnt see him again until the day I left, when I made some comment about liking tea (it wasn't a hint, just a comment) and was met with a very rude "Well, dont look in my direction, get it yourself", a comment he now denies.  I also commented that the bed was lumpy to which he said yes I know - it's because there are too many books in the storage locker below. He knew but didnt correct the problem.  

I however,  left a good review, stating that it was simply and effectively decorated, well situated air bnb to which I received an utterly vial reply. I replied  if I was being negative it would have been reflected in the review and please don't contact me again - to which he instantly replied with another snide comment.

Is there a process for a) changing my review or b) complaining about the host's rudeness? c) stopping any further correspondence from him?

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Alison435 

Sorry you didn't have a great experience.

Do you mean replied to your review or privately on Airbnb messaging?  I think you can block him (have a look at Airbnb Help Centre and see if there is a process). 

You can also call them and tell them that the host has been rude to you, because he doesn't like your review.

It's always better to be honest on a review as it can't be changed once both reviews are public

Alison435
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

He didn’t like my review - and i was honest  (if a little generous as still gave him 5 stars in all but cleanliness)but i think he misread or misinterpreted and messaged me privately with his vial response. He’s the sort that has to get the last word in no matter what and I refuse to get into a spitting contest and asked him not to contact me again, and then he promptly did .... 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alison435  I only see one review on your profile, and that is from a Dutch host. Is that the one? Because he didn't leave you a vile negative review at all- it's fine. Perhaps he sent you nasty private feedback? 

You can report him to Airbnb and flag his profile. But it's odd that he has only a string of very good reviews, saying the place was clean and comfortable and that the host was great. Perhaps you just rubbed each other the wrong way?

I'd say just because the host used a tissue to wipe the sink doesn't necessarily mean the sink wasn't cleaned before your arrival- perhaps he just noticed some specks of dirt when he was showing you around and was dealing with them. I thoroughly clean my guest room the day before an arrival, but I go through just before the guest arrives to check for any dust, a dead ant, a stray hair, or anything that I could have missed or that deposited itself after I cleaned.

No, you can't edit a review once it has been published. Always be honest in your reviews so you don't regret what you said  due to a bad review from the host or some nasty private messages. If you get a review which you feel is unfair, you can respond to it, but in this case, he left a good public review, so there's nothing to respond to. It's never a good idea to mention something in a response that was sent to you in private feedback.

It's not hard to leave a review which mentions the positive aspects of your stay, but also the things that could have used improvement, for other guests to know. So you could have mentioned that you found the bed uncomfortable, that the host acknowledged that he was aware of that, but hasn't done anything about it, but still praise the things you found good. Reviews where hosts or guests only talk about the negative, criticizing everything, while in some cases warranted, can make the review writer seem unfair and just a complainer. There's usually something positive we can find to say about someone or someplace, while still being honest.

Alison435
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks Sarah, yes the comments were sent privately and i (like you it seems) like to find the good in everything.  I wonder if he just misinterpreted my review - i gave a very good (and honest) public review. 

@Alison435  Yes, it seems odd that he had that reaction- I read the review you left him- it was brief and positive. But it coud have been the star reviews you gave, which we can't see, that ticked him off. Hosts are actually rated by Airbnb on the star ratings, not by the content of reviews. Anything less than a 5* star "Overall" review on Airbnb can tank a host's ratings and cause them to lose Superhost status. They also start receiving scolding messages from Airbnb. Guests are not informed of this, so sometimes rate a place 3*s or 4*s, even though the host and the place were fine, just because it wasn't what they think of as a 5* hotel. On Airbnb, a 5* rating means the place was true to its description, the host was accommodating (as long as the guest wasn't asking for some special treatment or extras), etc. If the place and interaction with host was fine, but there were minor things you think need improving, hosts appreciate being told those things in private feedback, rather than having their star ratings tanked.

BTW, there's a saying "You can always tell a Dutchman, but you can't tell him much"- told to me by Dutch. They seem to be proud of it and think it's funny 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Alison435 

Sorry you had this bad experience. Who knows why your host is being so aggressive after you left a brief, but positive review. Perhaps it was the star ratings you left, perhaps it was something you said while there or he felt you were being overly demanding for the price you paid.

It seems to be your 'no frills' comment that he is takng exception to, but I had a look at the listing photos and it does indeed look 'no frills' to me and that's without knowing if the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable or not! Perhaps the breakfast is marvellous and he feels that makes up for it.

Luckily he left a good review for you and that is what most future hosts will look at, so just chalk it up to experience. If he continues to send rude messages to you, then you can flag him.

Alison435
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I was going to let it go as he’s clearly not in a great space but he’s sent me 2 further messages since I’ve asked him not to contact me again. Honestly, he’s thinking more about me than i am of him. Just a shame he feels he has to be so rude.  

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alison435 

"He’s the sort that has to get the last word in no matter what"

Exactly, that's the kind of people you find a lot in Amsterdam !

We (dutch) are used to it...

Alison435
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Actually i met some amazing fabulous people in Amsterdam, i think it’s just him (so far ive received 2 more messages after ive asked him not to contact me again)