claims right to compensation for extenuating cancellation?

Answered!
Dorte4
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

claims right to compensation for extenuating cancellation?

Hello people....

I had to cancel under extenuating circumstances. I called Airbnb and everything was taken care of.... I believe.

But now 14 days after the cancellation a guest from Italy claims that he is entitled to either a reccomendation

of a similar place  to stay or a compensation for the cancellation, because it costs him a lot of trouble.

I believe that Airbnb has refunded him and so he is not entitled to any of this . Apart from extenuating circumstances

the cancellation took place2 months before he was supposed to come to visit. Have any of you had similar experience ....

best Dorte

1 Best Answer
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Dorte4 he isn't entitled to anything, he got a full refund and he has almost 2 months to find another place. Just don't respond to him, you were done with him from the moment the reservation was canceled. Unless you want to help him, you can send him links to similar properties. 

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Dorte4 he isn't entitled to anything, he got a full refund and he has almost 2 months to find another place. Just don't respond to him, you were done with him from the moment the reservation was canceled. Unless you want to help him, you can send him links to similar properties. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

He will have to take that up with Airbnb, @Dorte4 . Payments, refunds, compensations, credits: those are all handled by Airbnb, not the host. You have done all you can on your end by cancelling through the proper channels.

Advise him to give them a call.

Dorte4
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

great ....thank you I feel safe now..

I have recommended him another place and otherwise he will have to find something through Airbnb by himself

If he keeps coming back I will tell him to contact Airbnb

thats again for quick response

Angelina195
Level 2
Water Valley, MS

Having trouble with canceling a reservation that is in July host refuses to refund how can this be 

@Angelina195  Did you not read the terms of the cancellation policy when you booked? A host has no obligation to  refund outside the terms of their cancellation policy.

Hey dear 

this is the first time time using Airbnb 

I usually go thru Vrbo never had a problem great communication 

I contacted the host for this trip in July within a a month 

I thought I had read the cancelation policy and he made seem like it would be no problem 

the deposit is in limbo he claims he does not have it 

PayPal does not have its with air b n b never thought this would be such a nightmare for me even if we wanted to go ahead and still go its been booked

which he had plenty of time to rebook so he will receiving our deposit according to airbnb in 

July we r out our deposit and no action just speechless 

will never again use this ARBNB terrible service 1800 gone just like that 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angelina195  "the deposit is in limbo he claims he does not have it".

Hosts do not get paid until 24 hours after the guest checks in. Until then, Airbnb holds guests' payments. The deposit isn't "in limbo" and the host isn't "claiming" that he doesn't have it- that is how payments work.

I'm sorry you lost your deposit, but blaming that loss on the host or Airbnb, when the cancellation policy was there for you to read before you booked is absolving yourself of responsibility.

When you book a place, you are agreeing to the terms of the cancellation policy. It's a contract. Complaining about it afterwards and acting as if it's someone else's fault that you ignored it, is not okay. 

Some hosts will offer to reimburse a guest for any dates they can rebook. Did you ask the host if they would consider doing that? (Telling the host they can easily rebook the dates is not the way to go about this. It is best done by asking politely.)

oh dear yes mam I was polite when I asked him to cancel 

here is the cancelation policy  

48 hours full refund 

by July 19th 50 percent refund 

July 26 cleaning fee paid for that July 31 no refund 

I booked it in jan less then a month feb 18 had too cancel 

so its not anyones fault but my own are you  

@Angelina195 If you are due a 50% refund according to the cancellation policy, the host does not have to approve that- it is given automatically by Airbnb and the cleaning fee is always returned for a cancelled booking.

But 50% refund is based on the total cost of the booking, not on how much you paid as a deposit.

So if a guest paid the entire booking up front, they get 50% returned to them. If they only paid 50% to start with, that is the 50% they lose. 

The option to pay half up front is merely a convenience so guests don't have to come up with the entire payment at once. Whether you paid in full when you booked or a deposit, is unrelated to the terms of the cancellation policy.

Angelina195
Level 2
Water Valley, MS

Thank you for explaining that to me 

I sure do appreciate that