bedding issues

Hans184
Level 1
Seguin Falls, Canada

bedding issues

Hi there Air bnb hosting community 

i have some very specific questions about bedding for our guests

we supply the bedding to our guests to not have them to have to worry about it and give them more of  a b+b feel

my wife tells me that comforters (so the comforter itself) should be washed after every air bnb guest used it while I until now only washed the comforter cover because we also use a sheet below the comforter

who is right here me or my wife?

the lazy or environmental conscious air bnb launderer

4 Replies 4
Angie47
Level 2
Bali, Indonesia

If I may share what I personally do..

Me and my cleaning team only wash the cover and schedule to wash the comforter itself once in a month for a couple of reasons :

1. We have a thick cover and slightly water repellant hence, we did not find the need to wash the comforter itself so often.

2. I am trying myself to be more environmental friendly as hotels and acommodation services do so many damage to the environment with unecessary water usage for washing the laundry too often. I even have a rule of changing the linen and towels once every 3 days for long staying guests as I am very sure that normal people will not change their towels every day dont they? So I kindly notice them of my rule before their bookings confirmed.

But I do help them change when needed : )

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Hans184   If you have the comforter covered with a duvet set, then there is no need to wash the comforter after every use. 

We're phasing out comforters and moving to quilts because it's an easier, less complicated process than the large comforters, which, while they look nice, ours have to be taken out for commercial laundering, and the laundry usually does a poor job so they come back lump and don't generally last too long.

@Hans184 @Mark116 - I am doing the exact same thing - no more comforters as they are too difficult and bulky to wash all the time.  I have moved to thin quilts and leave blankets on the top shelf of the closet in case guests need a little more cover.  I am fortunate to have a washing machine and dryer large enough to handle comforters, but it takes added time to get them dry and like Mark intimated - they don't hold up to constant washing.

@Hans184 

Comforters are usually not made to withstand frequent washings - which is why I prefer to use zipped duvet covers rather than sheets - and we double bag it. We have a comforter for winter only, spring/fall a slightly thick quilted blanket, summer either a sheet or very thin quilted blanket. 

We also give the comforter a good shake and "air" it in the sun at least once every 2 weeks for a couple hours to keep it fresh. The comforter itself is only washed at the end of winter, before we put it away. And we occasionally use an alkaline ionized water spray when cleaning to sanitize the bed, pillow, cushions and comforter.