Why is there no search "within a given radius" of travelers' destination?

John109
Level 2
Argens-Minervois, France

Why is there no search "within a given radius" of travelers' destination?

That means that when I am looking for a place on Airbnb, and likewise someone is looking for my place on Airbnb  , there is not a distance indicator . Like --- look around 5 miles , -- then 10 and so on .. What could be the reason it has been left out ?      I have an idea why it is left out , and I likely do not agree with it.  

One being  a superhost 

another have a higher star rating 

Those are likely the reasons why there is not a " seaching radius"  

I wanted just yesterday to have for myself to find a place , that is when i realized there is not a localized search. 

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@John109  I think searching on this platform is not always easy depending on how you are familiar with the area you are planning to visit.  I use the map function to zoom in and out.  One problem with a distance from option, is that in some areas, the number of listings is too high.   I often respond to posts on this site asking whether their listing is visitble and most of the time the issue is that there are too many listings and the search has to be very narrow including zooming in on the map.

You wonderful listing may be in an area where there is not such a density.  Anyway, there is a video on this site about how the search function works.  I wonder if that would be of use to you.

John109
Level 2
Argens-Minervois, France

yes , i see your point about heavy population , as to where i was looking in Ardeche yesterday , the population is small.  It does not explain the absence of a radius search , as it is very common part of software.

I agree, it's really frustrating. I travel by bicycle and sometimes the AirBnB listings are as much as 50 miles away from the city or town I search for. Anyone who has done any cycling knows that 50 miles is a 5 hour ride, and that's the last thing I need if it's the afternoon, my original plans fall through, and I'm stuck without a place to stay. On the other hand, maybe it's that I'm doing something wrong - I'm new to the app.

Aina273
Level 1
Upper Austria, Austria

Not wrong at all, I am long distance hiking and I want results closer by not 10-100km away.

Frustrating 100% of the time.

I find it very frustrating either, as most of the time you‘re super happy to find a good spot and than you figure out it is even on an island next to it.

Please fix it, team airBnB!

I find it so bizarre that you can’t search by distance from home. In a perfect world I would set the maximum distance or use a slider to search distance, and then be able to also filter find to “barn”, “hot tub”, etc etc.

I’m a Superhost and I can’t fathom how our guests find us.  
In my past life I built e-commerce websites and the filters were critical. 
For hosting I find the site brilliant so there must be a reason for lack of distance filter. I don’t think these guys are missing a trick?