Why all the ratings got 5 stars but overall rating is 4 stars ?

Patrick79
Level 6
Killarney, Ireland

Why all the ratings got 5 stars but overall rating is 4 stars ?

I have over 400 reviews, I have a rating of 4.7. Ive been a host since 2015. In general, I'm happy with airbnb, otherwise I wouldnt do it, but, Ive stopped leaving reviews for guests for the most part. Honestly, I though airbnb were going to do something about reviews that were false. I get a lot of reviews that were 5 stars in everything, but 4 stars overall. How can I improve to 5 star? I've stopped trying, it seems more like a popularity contest and seems to be like the guests are criticising me personally, so I stopped getting drawn in. 

I have had 3 guests lately, leave 5 stars in everything, but 4 stars overall,  two of these said soap was missing. I wrote to Airbnb and told them, I provide shower getl/shampoo, hand soap and dish soap, these are always in supply. So I have no idea what the guests are talking about. 

Another guest said I arrived late, I wasnt there at all for check in, I messaged them a code to get in, well before their arrival time. This could be seen clearly in messages by airbnb, and when I asked them to check it out, they did, but still said there was nothing I could do.

Ive had 3 guests recently complain about me being slow to respond or communicate, once again, I told airbnb, on 2 of these occasions, to check out the messages so they could see that I reply practically instantly. They saw it and agreed with me, yet, once again, said they could not remove the reviews. I ve stopped contacting airbnb about these, Ive also stopped caring what people say or think, as it means nothing anymore.  The review system is broken, and they are not interested in fixing it. 

If a guest leaves a negative review, they should be asked why, and if necessary to prove it. 

I am at a constant 4.7 stars for the last 18 months, and it's not worth the hassle of trying to get 4.8 to be a superhost.

2 Replies 2
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Patrick79 

The 5 star versus 4 star has been much discussed here in CC.

Use related keywords in the Search box to read up on it as they have changed the system for us all.

All the best & be thankful they are not 1 or 2 stars!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Hi @Patrick79 

Don't waste one second of your time or energy stressing about superhost status! It's nothing but a behaviour modification tool, specifically designed by Airbnb to wring every last drop of "more, for less", out of their hosts. Gamification at its finest (or worst, depending on your perspective!) 

Don't buy into the mindgames. You seem to be getting plenty of bookings, and that's all that matters. (If it makes you feel any better, I'll be a 20-time superhost with the July 1st assessment, and I can't get bookings to save my life. 10 mins from Temple Bar, and on my main listing, 6 two or three day bookings since last summer, and a practically empty calendar for this one!)

Just do your own thing, don't get caught up in all the head-wrecking "game mechanics" nonsense (badges, levels, empty validation etc), focus on enjoying your great guests and thank your lucky stars that the sh*tty ones won't be around for long anyway! And have a fantastic summer in beautiful Killarney :))