When traveling internationally, I can't get Airbnb to bring up the US version

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

When traveling internationally, I can't get Airbnb to bring up the US version

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and found an easy work-around.

I travel a lot internationally and keep up with my rental while away. I'm currently in Malta and just got a booking. But when I bring up Airbnb, it redirects straight to an "mt" extension on the website, then presents me with a logon screen or "create account". I keep my Airbnb logged in - in theory I could put in my id and password again, but it's easy to forget what that is and my password keeper doesn't recognize it as the same site since it has a different URL. And even if I did, I'm not sure if the accounts would link or not. Plus it's always a bit spooky when any website redirects and asks for a password!!!

There is no option to click on the US version (that I could see anyhow). My current workaround is to have to fire up a VPN and pretend to be in the USA before bringing up the Airbnb website - but that is a pain if I have to do that every time there is an inquiry or communication. Really odd!

Thanks for any tips or workarounds!

Jim

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@James165,

I can use airbnb.com without redirecting me to airbnb.nl (my local airbnb website).

If you set your browser to "private" (for example in Firefox it is called "private window" from the filemenu), it will not share location or IP details, so probably redirection will not happen then.

Best regards,

Emiel

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

Hi,

Thanks for that response. I was hopeful and gave it a shot, but it went straight to the airbnb.com.mt site (on Chrome). Interestingly, it doesn't do it at all on MS Edge - even without the private window. So maybe it's a Chrome thing... Thanks for helping me narrow it down! I may play around with Chrome settings.

Jim

Lisette52
Level 1
New York, NY

The same thing is happening to me with Chrome. I turned off all of my extensions and it still does it. In incognito mode, it works fine, and in Safari, it works fine. Just not chrome regular. I have no idea what could cause it either. Very annoying. 

On another computer with Chrome installed, no problems. So it's an issue specifically with my Chrome. 

I cleared the cookies and all "site data".. and that seems to have fixed the issue for me. So there is some sort of browser/cookie/site issue that is causing the redirect.