What should I do if my host will avoid my questions?

What should I do if my host will avoid my questions?

Last minute, my friend decided she wanted to stay in our airbnb and I told her I would ask our host. I've asked questions many times and he's answered, but every time I mention an extra person, he just ignores the question and answers everything else. I've asked at least 4 times now. He already cancelled on us last minute, but moved us to a different spot that's 25 minutes away. It's just been so complicated and now I'm just feeling super anxious because he keeps avoiding this question. We only have a few more days until we check in and I need to know if she can stay with us or not. I really do not want to go behind his back and have her stay with us and risking getting kicked out with no refund, but I've literally asked so many times if she could stay with us for a little bit and I get nothing back!! I'd even pay extra for her to stay! Does anyone have some advice on this? 

11 Replies 11
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah3076 

Please do not get her to stay with you without his acknowledgment- this not only goes against airbnb’s terms of service, it can go against the host’s insurance policy if anything where to happen and you will be left with a bad review and out of pocket. 

Contact Airbnb and get them to make the host to answer your question- realistically they should be able to answer a soon as possible, as it’s not a hard request. 

Either way good luck to you! 🙂

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I’d be tempted to call him or just send a one question message.   Does he have good reviews?  Wondering what reason he gave to move you from the original property.  

8C9E3651-9B98-4BFB-92D8-7AB17434BDE5.pngHe has a lot of reviews and they're all good. He also said in his description that all we have to do is ask if we could have extra guests because he said he's easy going, but it makes no sense as to why he's avoiding this question. He didn't give a reason for moving us. I also like read an article saying that there was a scam going on in airbnb because we have other friends who got an airbnb in LA and got cancelled on 5 days prior to arriving. I'm just really confused by this whole ordeal. We asked for this guy's number, but no response yet.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Yadira22 

Adding an extra person (paid or not) during a stay is a rather complicated process. The "change" option will not work (try it yourself !), so it relies on clear communication in the Airbnb message system and for the extra money: it can only be done via the Resolution centre. I think the host does not want the hassle.

So the only official route is (if host is willing to cooperate):

- shorten your stay until onto the day your friend is arriving.

- Make a new booking for 2 persons (assuming it is just the two of you) for the remaining days.

Added: I see now reservation has not started yet, so then the above mentioned does not apply

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1 @Sarah3076 @Yadira22  Since Sarah has not yet begun her reservation, it is still possible to add another person without issue. But this is all very convoluted. The host has canceled their reservation and moved them 25 minutes away. Is this still an AirBNB reservation? Has he moved them off-platform?

I, for one, would be concerned that this has gone from normal to some sort of scam. And why isn't the host/manager's phone number part of the reservation confirmation?

We got this airbnb months in advance so everything is already paid for. I really feel like this is a scam. His number was never given to us.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Susan151 

Yes, you are right, i changed post

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Emiel1 

This is very true but as an experienced host with 500+ reviews he should be able to know how to do this. Or at least where to look for answers if needed. 

The concern is more the fact that Sarah has communicated with him several times on this matter and he has responded every other point but not this. And now despite calling- still no response. 

Could be a legitimate reason but still from an outsider’s prospective somewhat odd. Ummm 🤔 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah3076 Please contact Airbnb and tell them this- the fact that no communication is happening is generally not a good sign. Even if it’s all a big misunderstanding it still seems odd to me. Even if It’s for your peace of mind... you are obviously worried about it as to have contacted the community to seek advice?! 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Sarah3076 

It's not clear which of Dan's listings that you've booked, and I don't want to alarm you, but several of his recent reviews have mentioned that Airbnb is not permitted in the buildings those guests stayed at, they weren't allowed to use some of the facilities (like the pool), and they had to pretend to be friends of Dan's if anyone asked. Which basically means, they're illegal rentals, and coupled with the host's lack of responsiveness, there is a possibility that they've either been forced to shut up shop, or they're in the process of being closed down. 

The property you've rented however, may not even be in that same building, and could be absolutely fine. But if I were you, I wouldn't want to take the risk, and I'd be asking Airbnb to transfer my booking to a different host/property asap. 

JFC, thank you so much. I appreciate you looking into that and letting me know. The stressing out just doesn't end 😞 I'm going to call support today and see what they can do. Again, thank you!