Unauthorized additional guests

Steve799
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Unauthorized additional guests

Hello Community,

I need advice on the best way to approach this problem.  I've only been hosting since December of last year so this is a new situation for me.   I rent out a room with a full bath, queen size bed, that is private; it has a separate entrance from the house.  My listing specifies a maximum of 2 adults per booking.  It was booked by a young lady who specified 1 adult.  In our texting back and forth leading up to the booking she said she was here to see friends.  She never said anyone else would be staying with her overnight in the room.  Now (2 nights into the booking) it is clear to me the two friends she met up with after arriving alone have been staying with her overnight.  There are two more nights left on this booking.   My questions are:  1)  What are my rights re this situation - can I charge more for the unauthorized guest?  If, so, how much?  2) And what is the best approach: speak to her directly, or via Airbnb customer support?  Let them contact her and work this out as a go-between.

Steve

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Steve799 

Your listing shows you normally do not charge for a second guest (if any on the reservation)

But these guests are not on the reservation anyway, so they should not stay the night.

Your houserules do not state that unauthorized guests are not allowed, maybe add this.

I think you should contact the guest first and inform her about this, so at least the unauthorized guests  must leave.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thanks, Emiel, for the suggestion.  I've updated my house rules to specify unauthorized guests are not allowed.  And then added another point or two.   Appreciate your reply to my question.