Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate in San Diego

Marcus193
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate in San Diego

If you have completed the online Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate application for the City of San Diego (as required by law), what has been your experience? 

Did doing so initiate an investigation into past TOT taxes not paid (by you or Airbnb on your behalf) and were fines and interest assessed once the City Treasurer learned that you were renting space(s) short term?

If you have not Registered as a person/business required to submit TOT to the City of San Diego (even though Airbnb asserts that it is doing so on our behalf), why not?

Secondarily,  how have you ascertained that Airbnb is in fact paying the required TOT taxes and learned how the amount due was determined and that it was assigned to your property on your behalf?

14 Replies 14
Sara161
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I got the same statement and I am also trying to figure this out.

Candee0
Level 8
Oceanside, CA

We are in Oceanside (San Diego County) and received an email also regarding pay TOT.  I registered with the City of Oceanside right from the beginning and have always paid my tax in person at the City offices so that I get a receipt. I have never had any problems. Although I did get a letter from the City saying at anytime they could request to do an audit!

I had received an email that airbnb was going to have a meeting with the city and any hosts and unfortunately I forgot!  So I also have a question. The message in part states:

"

Will my payouts be affected?

No. The tax(es) will be charged to guests."

So does this mean that airbnb is charging the guests on top of what they are paying me? It is what I think it means but not certain. What do you think? If so, really this is better because I will be getting more!

Katalin24
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Hi,

I just got my letter from the City of San Diego for paying TOT and TMD.  It appears that Airbnb has been paying on the host's behalf since July 2015.  But I started renting in 2012 and it looks like the city wants to collect taxes and penalties from me for being late on these now.  Airbnb advised me to talk to a local accountant or tax agency.  Has anyone had to deal with this?  How did you go about it?  Can you give me any advice?  Thanks much, Kati

It is ridiculous, suggest doing some research. Looks like Airbnb picked up the tab for SF but leaving SD in the dust...

Hi,

Any updates to this?  Have you learned anything new, or did you pay the back taxes?

Thanks

@Katalin24  Are you sure there even was a TOT back in 2012?   

ETA..I see, they are trying to get you pay the hotel tax.  I'd talk to a lawyer, there may be some way around it, if airbnb/STR had not at the time been designated as being covered under this tax.

Hi, have you made any progress to resolving the back taxes the city is requesting that you can share with me?

Paul1804
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I have the same issue. Back taxes could be 30K for me. How can I pay that much. This is crazy. 

Any updates to this for you?  We too received the letter and the amount they want to collect is very high.

Thanks

Hi, have you made any progress to resolving the back taxes the city is requesting that you can share?

Paul have you made any progress to the back taxes that you can share?

Has anyone paid the TOT tax? I apparently owe taxes from bookings prior to July 15, 2015. I find it completely ridiculous that Airbnb didn't notify (or make it abundantly clear) hosts that they had to complete a transient occupancy registration certificate. Any updates from the community would be helpful? 

Gwynne5
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I started later with airbnb so they have been taking the taxes out of my rentals. According to the sight it is automatic for San Diego and you can see it in the gross earnings area if you are not sure but I need airbnb contact information to fill out the form and they won't give it to me. Does anybody have an airbnb contact name and email? The help center keeps giving me the runaround.

Ethan274
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I see this conversation has been going on since March, has anyone made any progress?