Town requirements, permits and codes

Town requirements, permits and codes

I started listing a Bunkhouse/apartment in April of last year (2017).  Now 10 months later I have the town knocking on my door telling me I need to pull permits and install all kinds of things to meet code.  The big one is they say I need a sprinkler system on each floor (2), Emergency signs illuminated over the exit, and egress windows.  I already spent $8,000 installing a septic system when the one I had in place was only 3 years old and brand new.  Basically I ripped out the old one and put in the exact same thing because they (the town) said I had to.  I cant believe everyone that lists on AirBnB has a sprinkler system or emergency exit signs etc.  Is this required?  I would appreciate any advice.

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You rent out to 4 guests so certainly not normal, I would check your local codes and see what they actually say.

David

I do have the emergency light, you can get them in Home Depot, not that expensive.

David

Thank you David.  It just seems so excessive.

@Karyn26 building codes are very local, so it is hard for any host who isn't in your specific area to provide good comparative information. What is true about the building codes in one city / state may not be true for another city / state.

BTW, I noticed that some of your photos are very sharp, and some are quite blurry. What is up with that?