Towels

Adele88
Level 2
Port of Spain, TT

Towels

Since I started in April I’ve lost 3 towels. I feel like guests will be annoyed if I charge for them

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Adele88 

It happens sometimes: towels disappear and you never know why (on purpose, by mistake) or even which guest. Consider it as costs related to hosting, so include it when setting up your listing price.

Thanks for the advice!😊

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Adele88  Towels can disappear- guests may accidentally or on purpose pack them up when they leave. Or if you are in a beach location, they may take them to the beach and accidentally leave them hanging over a beach chair or in a restaurant. I've not ever lost any towels, but I did have one guest who took a house towel on a booze cruise and returned with a towel that wasn't mine instead, and wasn't a towel I'd leave for my guests- it was old and ratty. The guest didn't even notice it wasn't the same towel- it just happened to be green, like mine (a different color of green, but lots of people aren't very observant).

I ask guests to bring their own beach towel and not to take house towels out of the home, but if they don't bring one, I have a couple of not-so-nice towels I can provide them with for that purpose.

If guests are just taking yours, maybe a mention in the check-out instructions- "Please ensure that you haven't accidentally packed towels which were provided to you for your stay, thank you."

Adele88
Level 2
Port of Spain, TT

Thanks for the great tip!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Adele88 

we can host up to 8 guests at the same time. It's a lot of towels (up to 24) and we used to count them after check out but we don't bother anymore. We have white Ikea towels (not the cheapest but close) so our guests are not tempted to steal them. Those towels last for max 2 years when they become "hard" and not fluffy anymore so we have to replace them anyway.

My advice would be to buy nonexpensive white towels, the type you will be able to buy/restock later. Don't buy sets with some pattern because you will not be able to find the same towels if one from the set gets missing or ruined.

If you are close to the beach then @Sarah977  gave you great advice about some beach towels.

I would also advise leaving some cloth and sponges (like used dish sponges) somewhere under the sink so your guests can use them to wipe the floor, shoes, luggage and other dirty items. It will save your kitchen towels from disappearing.

If your missing towel was new and expensive then of course you can use resolution center and file a damage claim, othervise it is just not worth it.

Adele88
Level 2
Port of Spain, TT

Thank you! Appreciate the advice 😊