Tip envelope

Lakota0
Level 2
Hyde Park, NY

Tip envelope

Hi, I'm new to AirBNB- I used to charge a cleaning fee now I don't , should I leave a tip envelope in their room?  I only clean before and after they leave , not during their stay- also I picked up a guest at the train station 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lakota0 

In my country it will be experienced as "uncomfortable".

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Lakota0 no you shouldn't in my opinion. What will the tip be for? They don't care if you clean after them or not and it is a basic that the place is clean when they arrive so it's not like you are doing them a favor. If you decide to pick guests up and you want to get paid you should add a fee for that. Set up your price so that it covers all your expenses and instead of envelope for tips leave a box of cookies or a bottle of wine 🙂 

Just saw this message- I asked this question back in June.  I opened in May of 2019.  I don't charge a cleaning fee.  One of my guests left a $10 tip for me and suggested I leave an envelope.  So I ordered professional  gratuity  envelopes and wrote on there, please don't feel obligated to leave anything, a guest suggested that I do.   Low and behold I made $485 in gratuities.  

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Lakota0  I would agree with the above comments. When I rent a place I do not expect to leave a tip. If you are looking for a cleaning fee, then just add it back in 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lakota0  If I were a guest, I would find a tip envelope offensive. Some guests do leave tips- if they are inclined to do so, they will, they don't need a "hint". A friend of mine had 3 German guys leave a $50 bill on the table in their suite.I had a guest stay for 3 days, but she had booked 4 different Airbnbs for her 2 week stay in my town- her thinking was that if she didn't like one, she'd be moving on to another in short order. She got really sick after she left my place, and texted me, as we had really hit it off, like old friends. I brought her some energy drinks and stuff. Then, a week later, when she was headed back to the airport, I happened to be going that way that day and told her I'd give her a lift. She insisted on stuffing all the local money she had left in my bag, about $20.