Third Party Booking & Review

Third Party Booking & Review

Hey all! Here's the situation. We just had a Operations Manager Instant book for one of his store managers and the trip went fine. The store manager was a lovely guest.

I thought it was a bit cheeky for the Operations Manager to IB the reservation, then ask us (after the fact) if it we would be okay with a third party booking. We accepted it anyway because it was a large chunk of change! I could hardly say no to a $500 reservation.

It seems that the Op Manager knew that third party bookings are against abnb's policy but keeps doing it anyway - he has 52 positive reviews (most of them 3rd party). 

Anywho, my gut feeling is to leave an honest positive review but mention that the OP Manager put the host at risk if not being covered for any damages because of the 3rd party instant booking....OR DO I REALLY EVEN CARE?!?! I can't decide if I care enough to mention it in a review. Part of me wants to just leave it alone & not write a review at all (unless they write one first - of course).

Btw we probably won't accept any more 3rd party bookings.

I welcome your opinions!

8 Replies 8
Karen108
Level 2
Feltham, United Kingdom

Hi, I’ve decided not to accept any more 3rd party bookings as the 2 I have had were the only times I’ve wanted to give a bad review! It obviously isn’t the case for you but I wonder if the reason people have someone book on their behalf is because they have received bad reviews in the past? I would steer clear In future and not worry about  mentioning it in a review unless your actual guest deserved a bad one.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Carrie234 

I think the OP manager should get himself an Airbnb business account, so he can book legally for employees andthe  reviewing processes are not disturbed:

Option 1: https://www.airbnb.com/third-party-booking

Option 2: https://www.airbnbforwork.com/

Maybe sent the OP manager this information and if used, he can book again on Airbnb in a more professional way

Best regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1  Very useful information. I had a couple of guests who booked for their company employees from their personal account. I will direct this type of booking requests to theses links.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Carrie234   I try to leave an honest review with 3rd party bookings. Stating that the communication was with reservation person but the actual guests were xx and the actual booking was like this.... I think it's good to do reviews and I this case letting others know that he is setting up IB for a third party needs to be out there. 

I'm glad it worked out well for you. I have a group coming tomorrow. Always makes me extra nervous but so far no issues.

@Beth80 how would you mention in the review?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Carrie234 you accepted the third party booking and now you want to mention it after its over. It is like guests who say everything is great and leave you 1* in the end because they had issues. I am all about being honest but you knew from the very beginning and you accepted it, it is not like one person booked and another came on check in day unannounced. I would just send him a personal message letting him know about the option to make a business account and review honestly the guests that stayed. 

I am now having the experience of someone booking for a week, being approved, others being turned away and at the day before arrival getting a message, "I want to be transparent, actually it's not me, it's someone else"   Now what, cancel them and get a a bad review, or allow and hope it's not a problem?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christine1680 

Based on my experience you have 2 options:

1) CANCEL.& NO REVIEW

You must not cancel yourself.

Phone Airbnb to Cancel because of Undisclosed 3rd Party Booking at the time of booking.

Guest will not be permitted to Review.

2) PERMIT BOOKING & OPTION TO DELETE REVIEW

If you permit booking you will not be protected by Airbnb Host Guarantee.

So you should message Guest before arrival on the Airbnb messaging system to inform of this detail and ask them to accept liability in all eventuality.

If you then get a negative Review you can contact Airbnb to delete the Review due to violation of 3rd Party Booking.