Taxes paid

Edward286
Level 2
Bangor, PA

Taxes paid

This is my first year having to file taxes for my airbnb, and I have two questions.

1. I did get my year end statemet from Airbnb but it has no information on the occupancy taxes paied. I do have a totaled list of this but I have no record that it was acctually paied. Will I get or can I get such a stateement?

2. Today my new reservations have seen an increse in the occupancy tax beeing paid, from a total of 10% to 11.3% I can not find who made the increse if it was the State of PA or Northampton County. Is there any way to find this out?

Thank you 

Edward Passno

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Edward286,

When i looked at your listing it says 10% tax (from total price: Rent +  Airbnb Guest service fee !)

The Airbnb help says: PA = 6% , Northampton = 4 % (maybe help page is not updated...)

The link to PA website shows it it still 6%, the link to Northampton does not load...

So maybe the link works at your side ? :

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2325/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-pennsy...

Best regards,

Emiel

I did check the above link and Northampton county link is showing it at 4%. So I am not sure where the extra is comming from for the last booking I recieved for arival April-6 was charged 11.29% Occupancy tax. The other question is the 2018 occupancy tax that it was paid and how much. 

This is the link to Northampton County https://www.northamptoncounty.org/CMTYECDV/Lists/Funds/FundForm.aspx?ID=6

Hope this may help.

Emiel1
Level 10

That link also does not load, website gives a "time-out" in my part of the world......

Emiel1
Level 10

@Edward286I can not answer the other question, as i do not pay such taxes, but about the percentage: it seems you calculate it for the renting price only ?

If you add the Airbnb service fee it comes to 10% .

I simulated a booking on your listing with result:

4 nights in februari total rent  $ 280,-  + Airbnb Guest fee: $44,- = $ 324,-

Taxes calculated: $ 32,-  Which is appr. 10%

Seen as a percentage of renting price - $ 280 -, it is appr.  11,4 %

Edward286
Level 2
Bangor, PA

This is the numbers provided by air bnb confirmation e-mail. The following are two diferent bookings the first one is for 4/6 and the other is for 3/2

This is part of the conformation e-mail from airbnb showing the increace tax. 

PayoutService fee−$2.55
Total$82.45

Your guest paid $9.60 in Occupancy Taxes. Airbnb remits these taxes on your behalf.

Payout$85.00 x 1 Night$85.00Service fee−$2.55

Total$82.45

Your guest paid $8.50 in Occupancy Taxes. Airbnb remits these taxes on your behalf.