TAXES- Airbnb requested a W-9, a question about shared expenses

TAXES- Airbnb requested a W-9, a question about shared expenses

I own a cabin with my parter/spouse (unmarried), but the Airbnb account is in my name. Airbnb requested a W-9 from me, but we share the income from the cabin, how do we handle this request for a w-9 from Airbnb. If I put the w-9 in my name only I will receive a 1099-Misc reporting the income only as my own.

I cant seem to find help on this...even called customer service, and cant seem to get the answer I need.

Thanks for any insight,

Lalania

2 Replies 2

@Kinh-And-Lalania0:
There are two ways to do this:

1. Create an LLC as partners, obtain an EIN, then set up a new bank account for your payments to go into. Draw salary from the LLC and then your LLC will report individual earnings. There are lots of other advantages to having an LLC anyway.

2. Let Airbnb continue to pay you and send the W-9 in your name. Pay your partner as an employee of the business and deduct their pay from your taxes. 

Thank you for these thoughtful answers. As another possible option, does Airbnb allow for more than one W-9 to be added to the account? If I tried to add a second W-9, would it just cancel out the original?.