Special Offer - 3% Service Fee not listed in instructions?

Ben476
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Special Offer - 3% Service Fee not listed in instructions?

I recently was asked by AirBnB to send a potential guest a Special Offer. So I did so following the instruction, sent it off; and the guest accepted. Then I see the total payout and a 3% service fee was deducted. Now I understand that AirBnB charges a service fee and that is OK. Its just not listed in the instructions.

Actual instructions to calculate the Special Offer Price: “Enter a subtotal that includes any cleaning or extra guest fees. This won’t include service fees or applicable taxes”. 

Should the instructions not read: "Enter a price that includes any cleaning or extra guest fees and the 3% service fee."   Right?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Ben

6 Replies 6
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Ben476 you are a Superhost, how did you understand just now how Airbnb charges service fees? It is always the same, the 3% service fee + tax is deducted from the total payout. You should send the price you are comfortable with calculating that 3% will be deducted so maybe add an extra 3% to the total payout if it makes such a difference. 

Ben476
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Ana, it is the instructions that I was following that does not list the fee. Its not about being or not being a superhost. I look at this as following instructions and how many other will do the same and that service fee will not be included, as that is what the instruction say.  It is not just now that I realize a service fee is charged. It is that now I see the instructions are misleading. You mention tax well that too is listed as not included in the instructions. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ben476 When you enter a price into your calendar a 3% service fee is deducted from that price amount when a reservation is confirmed/completed. Sending a special offer is no different. Airbnb collects the service fee from the total price + cleaning fees. Always. 

Ben476
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Again I understand there is a 3% fee. Its that the Special Offer instructions can be easily interpreted to not calculate the fee into the price.  I included the instructions above in my post for review and comment.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You are sending a price to the guest. The guest has no clue that you are being charged a 3% service fee. The total price that is sent to the guest should "include any cleaning or extra guest fees" which is exactly what the special offer instructions say. When you choose a listing price for each date on your calendar, nowhere does it say that your price should include the 3% service fee. You make your price and the fee is deducted from there. 

Elizabeth1229
Level 3
Heidelberg West, AU

As a fairly new host, I was wondering today about sending someone a special offer and opened the box to do so.  I was confused by exactly the same sentence that Ben mentions.  So I did not take action, but went to the community for clarification. 

Actual instructions to calculate the Special Offer Price:

“Enter a subtotal that includes any cleaning or extra guest fees. This won’t include service fees or applicable taxes”.

The first sentence is clear - calculate a subtotal of all that you want to include from your pricing perspective. 

The second sentence is the misleading one.  It could read instead "Service fees or applicable taxes will be taken from this subtotal by Airbnb". 

That may seem like stating the obvious, but I am all for spelling things out clearly and not creating confusion.  Being the first  time I had considered a special offer, it did not seem obvious at all to me. 

Anyway,  thanks for this conversation, because I have learnt what to do.