Smoking guests

Smoking guests

My guests were smoking inside. The whole house smells. I personally provided them with an ashtray outside. It is listed as non smoking in the house rules. What do I do?

8 Replies 8
Noel102
Level 10
Houston, TX

If they have already checked out, you can make a damage claim for the cost of cleaning it.  If they haven't and it violates house rules, you can call AirBnB and have the booking canceled.  I highly recommend you invest in an ozone generator.  You can get one for $70-80 on Amazon and it will be one of the best investments for your listing.  It will kill the smell of just about ANYTHING in the place - smoke, body odor, food, etc.  I bought one and it has even helped me take care of strong garlic odors from guests coooking when I had two hours to turn over the listing for my next guest.  I cannot recommend this enough.

This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAP7388/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You beat me to it I was going to suggest buying a Ozone generator we have them in all our properties even at home fortunatly my husband is an expert in Ozone technolygy 

You are right it gets rid of the smell of smoke and also air purification as Ozone is O3 is just a more powerful form of Oxygen, all you dog owners should get one, And Mosquitos dont like it my husband says

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'd be kicking their butts out, in both senses of the word. Rule broken = bye. 

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 

Gordon,

Have you ever actually experienced Guest(s) smoking in your flat, and thrown them out immediately?

If so, did Guest(s) just accept this fate, or was there any claim for refund?

Like you,  I'm a live-in host, and experienced this a few times. In these rare cases, I politely and firmly requested guest(s) stop, repeating 'House Rule' and emphasized 'fire hazard'.  In all cases guests stopped immediately and didn't reoffend. Consequently, as they were otherwise decent people, i.e. ones I was happy to accommodate, I didn't feel the need for further action.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My experience was a little more aggravated, @Alon1, in that said smoker (middle-aged woman) not only smoked in the room, but used my John Lewis (not even Tesco!) saucers as ashtrays. It was early on in my Airbnb 'career' but I was mightily miffed.

CS convinced me to give her a second chance only for that to be blown too, so she was decanted to the street the very next day with help from somebody from CS.

I succesfully charged for soft-furnishing dry-cleaning too, but I can't rememeber who actually coughed up, ie feral guest or CS.   

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 @Alanna22 @Noel102 

Gordon, thank you for clarification.

Your experience further suggests that CS's initial reaction will be to attempt to resolve the situation, rather than automatically enact cancellation. 

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

I wonder if the smoke detector will react if someone smokes in the room? For the time being smokers were respectful and went out to have a cigarette. I have special place for it. But if I’ll hear the alarm because of smoking I’ll ask them to leave without second chances. It is safety issue

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yulianna0 

You can either wait for someone to answer your question or experiment yourself! 

I have two smoke detectors, one at each level of the corridors in my home. None in the bedrooms.

The s.d is very sensitive as whenever the kitchen door isn't closed and the grill is on, even a slight burning of toast or anything else will set it off. 

The smokers I referred to always did it with windows open in the bedrooms. As mentioned, once I requested they stop and emphasized 'fire hazard', no one did it again.... 

I found it much easier to ask them to desist and give a second chance, than to initiate the stressful situation of enforced departure. I've only done it once, but not for reason of smoking.