Smoke smell in house

Keith58
Level 1
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom

Smoke smell in house

I just returned to my house after my last guests left to find that the whole house as a smell of stale smoke.  I state on my listing that there is no smoking alowed in the house, however, I don't have evidence for me to believe that my guests were smoking in the house.  Normally this would not be a problem as I would let house air to remove the smell, unfortunately as it is now winter the outside temperature is low single figures, which makes this solution unviable.  

I have found some advice online on methods of removing this smell, all of which are time consuming.  

Has anyone else had this problem and does this seem reasonable to charge my guests a cleaning fee to remove the smell?

2 Replies 2
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Keith58 This is something I live on fear of - guests breaking the No Smoking Rule. We know that guests rarely read the description, let alone the House Rules. You may be able to make a claim & get some additional cleaning costs covered, and I would try for that at least. Of course, they could say they smoked outside & the smell may have lingered on their clothes, or something equally lame.

I got some great advice here in the Community Forum, from hosts far more experienced than myself, on the best way to "head this one off at the pass". Post your rule (with a threat) on your property. For example post a sign that says: No smoking in the house - violation of this rule will result in a $200 (or whatever, but make it steep) charge for deep cleaning/fumigation. That seems to get their attention far more than having it buried in the House Rule section.

Then, if they still go ahead and smoke in your house and you submit a claim in the Resolution Centre, no one is surprised. They've been forewarned. I really hope that helps! Karen

Brian377
Level 1
New York, NY

I had three guests stay in my apartment for two nights and when they left I noticed a stale smoke smell. They said one of them is a smoker and the smell often is left behind coming from their clothes but they assured me they did not smoke in the house. I think I may nee to have the couch and / or carpet professionally cleaned. Does anyone have any advise on how to approach this? I told them I would air the apartment for a couple of days and then let them know if a professional cleaning is necessary.