Should I have a guestbook?

Hussain8
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

Should I have a guestbook?

Hi, I have been hosting for more than one year and had never thought of having a guestbook, until I hosted a  guest who just checked out this week.

I put my WiFi loggin information card in the guest room, and everytime when I check a guest in I inform them that the WiFi information card is on the table in the room.

This guest who checked out this week took the card with him when he checked out. When I noticed that, I sent him messages asking about it. He then told me that he thought the card was for him. We then had an argument about it. He said something like I should have a guestbook so that he could know what he could or could not bring with him when checking out. (It was not really that card that I cared about. It was also not the only reason why we had argument. He caused me many troubles during and even after his stay at my place. But it was quite a long story so I'll not talk about it here.)

I have never told him that he could keep the card with him after check-out. In addition, why would he need that card after checking out from my place? I've hosted around 100 guests or even more, and he was the first one to take the card with him after checking out. (Actually none of my previous guests, except him, has taken away any of my belongings) 

Nevertheless, I then started thinking that maybe it was really my mistake to not tell my guests which stuff that they could or could not take with them when checking out? Maybe it's really my responsibility to do so?

Could anyone please give my any advice?

Thanks a lot.

5 Replies 5

@Hussain8:

We have home manuals in all of our homes. First, it provides us a place to list the house rules (because no one reads the listing), check-out procedure and time, and to provide information about specific things like the WiFi pasword, how to use the TVs and remotes (really good idea for foreign guests), location of extra items and other helpful information. We have maps to the closest grocery stores, restaurants and suggestions of things to do in the manual. We have found most guests appreciate the information.

Thanks for the information. 

It sounds like a very good idea to have a guest book or manual.

I thought many things were already mentioned in the listing so I did not have to mention to my guests again, but it is true that many guests don't read the listing carefully.

I always just tell my guests that if they have any questions please feel free to ask me, but it sounds better to give them all the information when they check in.

@Hussain8 I have a house manual for my guests as people do not read listings properly & there is also a lot of information to take in when they first arrive and I show them around the apartment. 

The house manual has the house rules on the first page + wifi details. Then there is information about the apartment as a lot of people forget what I show/tell them when I welcome them. And I include police/ambulance/fire details for my international guests + the fire evacuation details & where the nearerst hospital is.

There are also some maps of the local area, tourist information and any guides/pamphlets for tours etc that previous guests have been on and enjyed.

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Hussain8 There’s always that one guest who does the unexpected hey?  We have a House Binder with emerg. Info, trouble-shooting for common problems like lighting the BBQ (amazing how many people don’t know how to do that!), nearby medical care services, trail guides, suggestions for restaurants, groceries, things to see & do etc.

Then we have 2 laminated sheets that I leave right beside the binder with a guest welcome gift at the top so they are sure to see them - these are standard letter size 1 page only, bold print, not a lot to read - 1 with our House Rules (because no one reads those on the listing) & the other is called Information for Our Guests, which has the wifi password halfway down (no one ever has trouble getting on the wifi), along with a few quick points & tips about our cabin, where to leave garbage & recycling etc. & our contact #s. People still miss a lot but nothing major since we started doing this. No one has ever walked off with these laminated sheets, so far. 

We got a guest book as guests were writing notes & leaving them for us; every guest since then has written in our guest book - reading their entries always makes my day, it’s the best. This forum is the best place to spend time as a new host - so many great tips to be found here! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Hussain8 

If the card has your Wifi details on make sure you change your own password details & change Guest passwords with every guest for your own online security & peace of mind.

All the best